1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Series 1 Tivo using MagicJack for Phone Line

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by ron2010, Apr 24, 2008.

1. ron2010

ron2010 New Member

Apr 24, 2008
    I just bought MagicJack with high hopes of being able cancel my $55 monthly LAN line phone, but Tivo Series 1 doesn't like it. It will dial in, but it won't connect. I heard about using a dsl filter, tried it forward and backwards, No Luck. MagicJack, (it works great for talking) but not Tivo Series 1. Changed all kinds of phone settings on the Tivo and the MagicJack, again No Luck. I just read about The TurboNET Ethernet Adapter Card that plugs on to the Series 1 motherboard that hooks to a wired network for internet downloads of guide Info, but I have four Series 1 Tivo's with Lifetime Service I am not willing to give up yet and dont want to buy four TurboNET Ethernet Adapter Cards. Anybody out there have a lower-tech solution. Any Help would be appreciated.
    ron2010

http://www.9thtee.com/turbonet.htm

2. ciper

ciper New Member

Nov 4, 2004
  3. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    The V in VOIP stand for voice for a reason.
    It may be possible that your land (not LAN btw) line phone company could offer a low rate fax/data only line.
    If that's not possible, the good news is that you'll only have to pay $280 for four turbonet cards and maybe an additional $24 for four connect kits to get your Tivos back in business.

4. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    You can look into Serial PPP. Easy to do for one TiVo, but a bit of doing for four.

5. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    You could try slowing down the connection speed. It may not help at all, but it's worth a try.
    From: http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=122090
    Don't forget the comma.

6. ron2010

ron2010 New Member

Apr 24, 2008
    I greatly appreciate all of the Info Thank You.
    Oh by the way, I really did not know that (The V in VOIP stand for voice)
    This internet calling stuff is new to me. Thanks again.

ron2010

7. Jul 9, 2008 #7 of 14
    ochophosphate

ochophosphate New Member

May 17, 2007
    I'm having a similar issue. It Prepares, and I can see MJ dialing, but I never connect or update.

Luckily I only have one series 1 Tivo... so a fix for me will be a lot easier. Just wanted to check.

8. nedflanders

nedflanders New Member

Jul 18, 2008
    Anybody have any luck with this, if not me and my tivo 1 are sol.

9. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Consider serial PPP.

10. lonewoolf47

lonewoolf47 Member

Nov 16, 2001
    Denver, CO.
    Any recent updates to this thread?

11. CKarpa

CKarpa New Member

Jan 22, 2009
    I have been researching many blogs and community forums....I also have 4 Tivo's - from series 1 - to HD....
    Recently I switched to VOIP with Time Warner NYC. Most of the people moving from analog to digital voice in the forums were Vonnage customers. I tried many things - not wishing to have the added expense of turbonet. And this worked for me.
    I purchased a RCA Wireless Portable Phone Jack RC940 at Radio shack for about $60. They also have them at Best Buy.
    Then I adjusted the phone calling settings using ,#034
    Called my local cable number
    Takes a while to update. But it works....
    Hope this saves you the trial and error I had.
    Enjoy!
    Carol

12. jfcannon

jfcannon New Member

Feb 16, 2009
    CKarpa,

Let me make sure I understand your post correctly. You plugged your Tivo directly into your new VoIP with Time Warner and the Tivo couldn't connect to update its TV schedule, even if you used the ,#034 prefix. Then you plugged your Tivo into the wireless portable phone jack which connected via that jack to your VoIP with Time Warner, used the ,#034 prefix and the Tivo was able to update OK. In other words the only difference between failure and success is you sent the signal via the wireless portable phone jack? Have I got it right?

I don't see why it should make any difference whether you go through a wireless phone jack or not, but if you confirm that's what happened, I'll give it a try. Has anyone tried this with magicJack?

13. bosanci28

bosanci28 New Member

Aug 9, 2011
    so will this "RCA Wireless Portable Phone Jack RC940"
    work for tivo series 1 with magicjack?

thanks!

14. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I'm guessing that the wireless phone jack slowed down the connection enough for it to work.

If your Series 1's internal modem is still working (they're notorious for getting fried by the least little spike on the phone line*), then if you can find a way to make it slow down you can save yourself the cost of the wireless jack system.

Or you could research "tivo external modem", and learn how to use the TiVo's serial port to connect to an external modem and how to put in a dial prefix in the telephone settings of the TiVo that will make it use the external modem at the speed you specify. That way you don't have to worry about the internal modem going bad.

Of course, that's assuming that slowing down the connection is what allowed that guy's TiVo to work with Voice Over Internet Protocol.

As someone who lives where we get hurricanes, I like having a "regular" telephone fed by an underground line from a central office with its own power supply so that when the electricity, and the nearest cell phone towers, and the cable (and therefore the internet) are out, I can still pick up the house phone and make a call.

*You should tie a knot in each end of the phone line plugged into the back of the TiVo. At the extremely high frequencies of a voltage spike induced on the phone line it has enough inductance to act as a filter and reduce the level of the spike.