TiVo Community Forum banner
  • TiVoCommunity.com Ambassador Program Now Open! >>> Click Here

Problem Dowloading New SW 20.21

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  rainwater 
#1 ·
I have a TIVO Premier. Because I live outside the city I do not have access to unlimited broadband. I have to use the phone adapter. The TIVO has been unable to download the new software 20.21 because the phone modem keeps timing out. I have tried "forcing" the unit to connect to TIVO and get the dowload in spurts. The problem is the modem will time out and the unit restarts. That means I have to go back and start the download from the beginning. Any ideas as to what I can do to correct this problem. My guide info will run out at 6pm cdt on Tue. Without the new software the guide will not load. Thanks for any help.

#4 ·
What is you cap? The Software download should not be too large. But I guess it really depends on what your broadband cap has. Even if I was still on a 4GB capped plan from my cellular service and that was my only internet connection, I would still use it to download the TiVo software update since it should only be so many MBs in size.

#6 ·
What is you cap? The Software download should not be too large. But I guess it really depends on what your broadband cap has. Even if I was still on a 4GB capped plan from my cellular service and that was my only internet connection, I would still use it to download the TiVo software update since it should only be so many MBs in size.
I was told by a TIVO tech that it could be 6GB or larger. I have a 5GB limit per month.

#7 ·
It would work. The Tivo isn't locked to any specific internet service accounts.
Thanks, I tried all day to force the download via telephone. At one point the download stayed active for over 6 hrs, but it still did not complete the task. Later it kept stopping due to various errors. I tried calling TIVO but got a recording that said due to the high volume of calls my wait time would be long. I may try to get a friend to let me download it from his system.

#8 ·
I was told by a TIVO tech that it could be 6GB or larger. I have a 5GB limit per month.
6GB:eek: Wow!! I had no idea it was so large. I wonder if that is really true?(since you never know when talking to a rep) Even for someone without a cap, if they had a slow 1.25Mb/s DSL connection(like my GF), it would still take a long time to download.

If it is really that large, and you only have a phone connection as an option, then you only have one choice. You have to take it to someone's place with a faster connection with out a cap. That would take a very, very long time to download over a dial up connection.

#9 ·
6GB:eek: Wow!! I had no idea it was so large. I wonder if that is really true?(since you never know when talking to a rep) Even for someone without a cap, if they had a slow 1.25Mb/s DSL connection(like my GF), it would still take a long time to download.

If it is really that large, and you only have a phone connection as an option, then you only have one choice. You have to take it to someone's place with a faster connection with out a cap. That would take a very, very long time to download over a dial up connection.
After talking to several other reps, the concensus was that my best option was to try and buy a TIVO HD DVR from a third party and replace my Premier. I found one on Amazon and it should be here Wednesday. I wanted a TIVO HD when I bought the Premier because I knew I would not be able to hook it up to broadband anyway. I just hope I won't have any problems getting TIVO to transfer my annual payment from the Premier to the HD. The renewal was effective April 1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.