1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premiere4 with James expanded 2tb drive-add ext drive?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by philhu, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Feb 3, 2013 #1 of 22
    philhu

philhu User Since Day ONE!

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    I've looked all around and can't find definitive answer for Premieres

If I've upgraded using Jmfs 1.04 my premiere4 int drive to 2tb, can I plug a 1tb external drive in to expand to 3tb total automatically?

Thanks

2. Feb 3, 2013 #2 of 22
    philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    Typo editor

James in title means JMFS

3. Feb 3, 2013 #3 of 22
    retiredqwest

retiredqwest Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I seriously doubt it because you can't do it when the 2 tuner TP is upgraded to 2TB using JMFS.

You can add the external to the XL4, I tried it on mine and that works.

4. Feb 3, 2013 #4 of 22
    philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    Ok. Does weaknees use a different method?
    They allow a 4tb premiere 2+2

5. Feb 3, 2013 #5 of 22
    retiredqwest

retiredqwest Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I don't believe any one here knows how they do it.

6. Feb 3, 2013 #6 of 22
    jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009

At this point I do not think so either. I could give you a more definite answer if I could see the MFS superheader on a tivo with an expanded drive. I am in the process of trying to get an expander from eBay to run some tests to examine the superheader information and the partition information on the expander after it has been expanded. If anybody wants to do this for me and post the data that would speed things up.

7. Feb 4, 2013 #7 of 22
    philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
  8. Feb 4, 2013 #8 of 22
    jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    That link is just a 2TB upgrade, not anything more.

For weaknees, you need to send them your box, it is not a plug and play add-on drive.

9. Feb 4, 2013 #9 of 22
    retiredqwest

retiredqwest Member

Sep 7, 2010
  10. philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    Yes, but look at the description, it talks about allowing EXTERNAL TIVO RECOGNIZED EXPANDERS AFTER their upgrade

So I assume they mean a 1tb expander can be plugged in.

11. retiredqwest

retiredqwest Member

Sep 7, 2010
    It appears so...... I just though it was his normal listing on Ebay.....

12. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Right- third party solutions have a method to go beyond 2TB. DIYer tools do not.

13. philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    So you are saying they use a tool that is not JMFS? They use their own?

14. retiredqwest

retiredqwest Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Here's a screen shot of the XL4 with the extender added. 479 hours HD.

Attached Files:

15. philhu

Apr 11, 2001
    Funcity, MA
    ok

I cannot see any reason a 1-time upgraded 2tb internal drive, now with 15 partitions, cannot have a media expander connected.

I've read about partition maps, etc. I think when I add it, the tivo will add a 16th partition, named 'Apple-free' and make the expander the 17th partition as it marries them together, since the expander needs to be partition 17.

I just bought a 'tivo-compatible' expander (1tb) and will try it tomorrow. Worst that happens is that it says it is incompatible and tells me to divorce it, true?

16. retiredqwest

retiredqwest Member

Sep 7, 2010
    It's been a while since I tried the 1TB expander on the TP 2TB, but I don't believe it will install. It just keeps trying.....

I did marry the expander to my XL4 this morning and tried to use mfslayout to read the partition map. But, that was a no go. Because I had a usb drive plugged in, the guide offered the copy function. It came back with the drive is married to an external drive and did I want to continue, didn't see any reason to go further.

The wife is watching the TV with the TP right now..... so maybe I'll try later.

DVR-DUDE and Weaknees were offering the 2TB upgrade for the Premire and THD models before JMFS came out I do believe.

17. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    You may need to use WinMFS with both drives hooked up to make much sense out of it. I'm not sure if jmfs works with multiple drives.

18. retiredqwest

retiredqwest Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I think it has been said, that if you use WinMFS on any S4 it will hose it.

I tried to marry my backup copy of the XL4 today and it would not let me do it. I had "to enable the external drive" or some such nonsense. AND the guide data would not display with some more nonsense about OTA disabled..... I was going to see if I could the partitions with pdisk, just wasn't comfortable using the stock drive. And yes, I did use winmfs on that backup drive. It mounted it but would not read it.

Guess I'll do another backup this weekend on the XL4, just a measly 18 hrs.

On to the TP and the external now. My TP has a 2TB upgrade using JMFS. Powered on the TP w/extender attached and it brought up the install screen. After it rebooted..... it brought up the install screen again. Checked Sys Info and it still showed 318 hrs HD. At least doing this did not screw up the TP.

If you really want extra hours..... why not try one of these.

http://www.seagate.com/external-har...t/digital-media-players/seagate-dvr-expander/

It's not certified for Tivo, but Tivo probably has a contract for only WD drives.

19. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    WinMFS and MFS Live do not understand the changes made to the TiVo hard drive and file system with the S4s, and will turn them into paperweights.

20. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    Even if you just use them to read the partition table & zone layout? I don't have a physical Premiere drive, but I have a virtual image of one and have used both programs on it to look at the drive.