1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premiere XL4 Total Capacity

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by aindik, Aug 29, 2012.

1. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    What is the total capacity a TiVo Premiere XL4 can recognize? IOW, if I plug in a 1 TB MyDVR external drive into an XL4 with an internal 2 TB hard drive, will it see all 3 TB as usable space or is there a limit lower than 3 TB?

2. aindik

aindik Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Philadelphia...
    It says it's compatible. It doesn't say the XL 4 will see all of the space.

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Well it doesn't say you will see all of the space for any of the TiVos listed as compatible. But I would assume you will see the same amount of recording time added regardless of which TiVo you add it too. We know that Weaknees is selling them with a total of 4TB (2 internal & 2 external) and claims you will get 640 hours of HD so using/seeing 3TB shouldn't be any problem.

4. retiredqwest

retiredqwest Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I hooked up my 1TB Mydvr expander to an XL4 758 series and it totaled 463 hours HD...... then I disconnected it.

was just curious..... if it would even recognize it!

5. jwmccnn99

jwmccnn99 New Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Does anyone know if you can use any eSata connectable hard drive to expand a Tivo Premier XL4?....or does it need to be the one you can buy on Tivo.com?

6. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Simple answer is it requires the exact Western digital model being sold by TiVo.

Complex answer is some people have the ability to mate other hard drives to it but it requires they have your TiVos original drive to do so.

7. headless chicken

headless chicken Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Does the XL4 have a free space indicator? Why TiVo has been so reluctant to implement that feature is beyond me.

8. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Yes all Premiere models.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Because it doesn't mean a whole lot.
    An hour HD show can take up varying amounts of space. I've seen from as little as 1.5GB to over 8GB. So if a space meter shows a certain percentage of space there is really no way to know how many shows you have space for.