1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premiere xl4 / elite review on Engadget

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jfalkingham, May 10, 2012.

1. jfalkingham

jfalkingham Member

Jul 23, 2002
    Epping, New...
  2. severe

severe New Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Decent article.

Well said.

3. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Yep, that pretty well sums up why this isn't the 'one box' that they so inanely tout in the marketing. But it's still a damn good DVR if nothing else, and that's all I need.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Well at least they confirmed DD+ audio from Netflix. Although since the Premiere only has 1080P pass through it has the resync issues like any HDMI device when changing output resolutions when changing from 720P to 1080P in the stream. I would think alot of people won't like that.
    Devices that scale to 1080P have a big advantage with this.

5. generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    I noticed the review says that it still doesn't support real-time remote scheduling. Wasn't this added to the iphone/ipad app a while ago? I use it all the time for remote scheduling in real-time, and it works great.

6. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I believe when you are away it uses the website. You still have to then wait for your TiVo to call home to pick up the request.

7. generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    That's not true. One of the major updates in the latest version of the app is that it's now real-time, even when in "away" mode. I don't believe that's the case if you use a web browser, but that's definitely the case if you use the iPhone app.

8. Lars_J

Lars_J Member

Feb 1, 2005
    Real time? Doubtful. I'm sure they just have increased the frequency that the boxes 'connect home' to check for new scheduled recordings. This will just give an appearance of real time, but isn't actually.

And by real time, I mean an open continuous network connection - every box maintaining a constant connection to the home TiVo servers would be a *significant* resource issue.

9. generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    You say this because you've tried it? I have tried it. It's real-time.

10. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Actually for quite some time now there has been an active connection from TiVos to their servers so there is no need for polling. I believe they are now making more use of this connection now with almost instant remote scheduled recordings. I don't think it is enabled from the website yet though.

11. stlbluesfan74

stlbluesfan74 Mike

May 2, 2012
    St. Louis
    May not be the best place for this question but is it true the XL4 cannot record OTA?

12. generaltso

generaltso Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Vermont
    Yes.

13. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    I read Engadget's review and if I were to sum up their feelings in one word it would be "meh".

They like TiVo, but primarily because despite all of the inadequacies there isn't anything better on the market... yet.

14. stlbluesfan74

stlbluesfan74 Mike

May 2, 2012
    St. Louis
    Ouch! Thank you for confirming that. For future boxes, it looks like I will be sticking with the XL.

15. severe

severe New Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Bit of a surprise to me too. As I'm no longer OTA, it doesn't matter much to me, but good to know.

16. stlbluesfan74

stlbluesfan74 Mike

May 2, 2012
    St. Louis
    The main reason I purchased the XL was for OTA. I would have been pi$$ed had I sprung for the XL4 only to find out I couldn't get them.

I guess I don't understand why they would take that away. Perhaps a cost cutting move. But judging the high cost of the box itself, I wouldn't think so.

17. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Another reason why they should have kept the Elite name. calling it an XL4 makes it sound too much like an XL. But while an XL can record OTA and analog content, the XL4 is limited to only digital cable and requires a cable card.
    The name creates too much confusion for consumers.

18. sbiller

sbiller Active Member

May 10, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Correct. Just checked it again with the iPad app connected to my Elite. It instantly confirmed a future recording.

19. b_scott

b_scott TiVo Fan

Nov 27, 2006
    chicago, il
    uh i'm seeing a new Netflix app in the review. Is that just for the XL4? or is that an update soon to come?

EDIT: Nevermind just saw the new change thread.

20. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    I hope that the Ceton Q (due out later this year) will give them a run for the money - it certainly has the potential with the specs and software they've been demo'ing. Moxi tried and failed.

Tivo needs some real players to push them to do better, because they are zombie slow.