1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premiere XL ...worth the purchase?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by pivotalrex, Aug 10, 2012.

1. pivotalrex

pivotalrex New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    We currently have a series 2 tivo and a cable HD DVR 40 hr capacity. Considering purchasing the premiere XL to replace both dvr's. We don't use vod so I'm not concerned with losing that. I've read through a lot of posts that complain about the UI for tivo though.

For those of you that have the premiere xl, how do you like it? Would you purchase it again or go for something else?

2. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I love mine! but if i was you i would either get the premiere XL4 or the NEW tivo premier 4 ,both have 4 tuners so you can record up to 4 channels at once while the tivo premiere xl can only record 2 programs at once with its 2 tuners.check out zatz not funny website for more info,or better yet here in the tivo community forums,or of course tivo.com for more info.

3. pivotalrex

pivotalrex New Member

Jul 14, 2007
    thanks celtic pride,

you haven't had any UI issues?

we considered the XL4 but I'm not sure we need the 4 tuners, the XL allows you to watch non digital channels (as few as there are anymore) and if I want to upgrade the hard drive I know it can be doubled for less than 200 bucks later on.

but thank you for the heads up. the xl4 isn't completely out of the running, just that anything would be an improvement over a 5 yr old series 2 analog at this point and I'm not sure we need the XL4 but could always upgrade later.

4. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    I'd get the xl4 if I had cable. But if you ever consider using OTA then the tuners won't work for it, then you would need a regular 2 tuner Premiere.

HDUI on TiVo is good they just need to finish up all the settings screens. No telling when that might be.

5. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Love my XL4

4 tuners allow recording 2+ shows while watching another
    Huge capacity allows a season of football or all the Olympics

No problem with UI

Comcast VOD works with XL4 in the greater Boston area, other markets to follow

6. markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    I was skeptical I would want to replace my trusty S3 which we had for years. So, I bought it with full intent to take advantage of BB 14 day return priv. But never returned and retired the S3!

I can say our XL4 is WELL worth the upgrade! Very happy with the added function and performance.

7. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    If you have a cable card in there (which you presumably will), you most likely WON'T be seeing non-digital channels. You'll be getting the simulcast digital (non-HD) versions. If the channels are simulcast, you CAN'T tune into the analog ones when you have a cable card in there. (I would, for some channels, for space reasons.)

8. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    If you don't need four tuners I would get the lower end model and upgrade the drive to 2TB on my own. For just the cost of the drive.

9. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    If i decide to stay with verizon i'll have to get me at least 1 XL4,because in the fall i watch nba league pass ,and a lot of shows on the networks that my wife and i watch are on at the same time!,Espeically on monday nights when i like to watch every show on cbs,plus nfl football and theres other nights as well where there are 3 or 4 shows on at the same time that we want to watch.

10. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I get TV from OTA, so the decision is easier for me.

Between the Premiere and Premiere XL, I'd have to go with the Premiere.
    Hard drive size is not a problem (upgrading is easy).
    THX certification? Eh, I haven't heard any evidence that the Premiere is lacking any hardware (other than the hard drive) that differentiates it from the XL. I bet if the Premiere was submitted for THX certification, it would pass.

11. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    My opinion is this is a really good upgrade..and I'm still using SD menus

12. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Tell me more about this retired S3.