1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

premiere tuner poorer than Tivo HD?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jamkor, Jul 17, 2012.

1. jamkor

jamkor New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    I just got a Tivo Premiere to replace my aging HD. Aside from Netflix being slower, my main concern is that my signal from my antenna used to be 85-95 on the Tivo HD is now consistently 44-50 with occasional drops to zero. Nothing else has changed.

Any ideas?

2. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    The signal strength numbers are on scales that are somewhat arbitrary, and different for the Premiere vs the TiVo HD. Drops to zero shouldn't happen though. Is there loss of program lock when that happens? If you want to obsess over something, look at the error counts, especially uncorrected errors. Except for maybe a modest burst during a channel change, uncorrected errors should not increment. Does the picture look good, with no glitching?

3. Ed_Hunt

Ed_Hunt Pokerpro

Jan 2, 2004
    Patterson,...
    I had the exact same problem. I changed my coax to rg6 and it made all the difference, I now am at a steady 80-100 all the time. I am running 100" of cable with a splitter.

4. jamkor

jamkor New Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Sorry, I should have been more clear. The picture is terribly inconsistent (lots of stuttering/pixilation). I was only looking at signal strength because of this. Like I said, with the HD this only happened very infrequently, now it is more the norm with the premiere. :-(

5. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Some people see more problems with the Premiere, but my Premiere's reception is better than that of my TiVo HD. I think the latest speculation is that the Premiere might do better with static multipath interference (reflections off buildings, etc), while the TiVo HD does better with dynamic multipath interference (reflections off planes, trucks, etc). Is it possible that you have dynamic multipath problems?

6. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    You should get a good signal with a cable that is only 8.33 feet long.

7. Minollo

Minollo New Member

Oct 8, 2003
    I had exactly the same problem with my XL4; I ended up contacting Tivo support, who took care of replacing the unit with a new one; that corrected the problem - without changing anything on the pre-existing cables.

8. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    The XL4 doesnt support OTA so I am not sure how this fits...

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I have a premiere XL which has a really sensitive tuner and gets random pixelation on some channels. However my Elite seems fine. So maybe there was a bad batch of tuners somewhere along the lines?

Dan

10. oregonman

oregonman Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Portland OR
    I have exactly the opposite experience. I had a Tivo HD that was almost unusable for OTA. Actually I had two different Tivo HDs that were about the same. I didn't blame it on the Tivos because my TV tuner was no better. I am really close to the antennas with obstructions in between.

I replaced the Tivo HD with a Premiere and the Premier is much better for OTA. I do get picture breakups and freezes, but much less that with the Tivo HDs. Same location and same antenna.

11. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The cable tuners and OTA tuners are completely separate chips, so that's sort of Apples and Oranges.

Dan