1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premiere service transfer is now possible

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by alyssa, Jul 7, 2012.

1. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    I called tivo a few months ago & got nowhere trying to transfer an Elite (xl4) into a $6.95 service plan. I figured if I offered to buy it from them maybe they'd let me do the transfer.

then last week,
    I came across a deal on the Elite for $330. I decided to get lifetime & try for the $99 lifetime offer on my S3 (that had the $6.95 service plan). When i called I was offered a deal,
    if I bought the unit for $499 from Tivo they'd allow me to transfer it into the $6.95/month plan.
    After doing the math, i declined & bought lifetime for $399 and the $99 LT for the S3.
  2. dianebrat

dianebrat Uncontrolled Force

Jul 6, 2002
    FWIW I also got confirmation you can move the $6.95 plan to an Elite/XL4 this week when I was cancelling service on my 2 S2's, one had $6.95 on it and they said if I wanted I could have transferred it to an Elite, but as it is everything I run has Lifetime
  3. LegacyCX

LegacyCX New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    I bought a Tivo premiere for $49 refurb (not through TiVO). I activated it and asked the Tivo rep if I could use my $6.95/mo., and he said No, because I bought the box elsewhere. He said had I bought the box from them, then I could have transferred the $6.95 to my new premiere. I asked him how about the Tivo Premiere through them would have been, and he said $299. What a rip off, IMO.
  4. alyssa

alyssa Active Member

Dec 7, 2003
    that was why i got lifetime instead, i know i'll be keeping a 4 tuner box a *long* time. especially since i'm getting the dvd_dude to marry an external to my my new elite.

i'll be putting both of my lifetime S3's on the market soon
  5. plazman30

plazman30 New Member

Jan 22, 2005
    You think you'll be keeping it a long time, till your provider decides their going all IP, or Tru2Way and you lose CableCard access.

Though I like the cost savings of lifetime, I don't see how I could keep a TiVo for even 5 years the way TV technology is changing. If I got a commitment from TiVo that a software update to the Elite would make IPTV ready, I'd think about it.
  6. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Some people are still using the Series 1 with a cable co. Digital box of some kind, the next big change for cable co.s is well over 8 years away, it took that long to change from analog to total digital, and many cable co are still not total digital, Comcast in my area is but Cox is not. I would bet cable cards will still be working in systems they are now working in for at least the next 12 years, or longer. Lifetime Service for any TiVo Series 3 or Series 4 is still the best deal.
    For people who want the newest at all times Lifetime is still a good deal as the resale value will get you back a big part of your upfront PLS cost.
  7. Balzer

Balzer Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Maybe it depends on who you talk to. I had an old Series1 Tivo that was $6.95 a month. When I purchased a Tivo HD, I just transferred the subscription to the HD, via the website. When the HD died, I purchased a Premiere from Best Buy for $99. I tried to transfer the subscription to the Premiere online, but it wouldn't let me. So I called Tivo and asked if I could transfer it, and the rep said no problem and did it for me. So still getting the $6.95 rate with my Premiere. :)

I have since repaired the HD (new hard drive) and reactivated it, but have to pay $12.95 a month for that.
  8. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Unless you think ALL cable companies will do away with cable cards just as quickly, the Tivo with lifetime will still have resale value.

Heck, I even "lost out" (potentially -- might be power supply) on the lifetime gamble on one Tivo, and still wouldn't pay monthly at current prices. If it were literally like a buck a month or something, then yeah, I'd probably go monthly instead. (Though even if I don't get it working again, I did get about 4 years out of it, which I guess is a reasonable amount of time.)
  9. astrohip

astrohip Active Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I think you're being overly paranoid. I have Series 3 over six years old still working, with lifetime.

The likelihood of a MSO going IPTV in the next few years is pretty slim. Too much infrastructure in place.
  10. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    Well said. Infrastructure $ investment and facility changeover takes a long time, something tech guys always underestimate.

I worked in high tech for decades.
    Back in 1986 at a fiber optic transport company my CEO was on my tail because we needed to be able to accommodate analog HDTV which was gonna be here in 2 years. As head of eng I knew it was far away and knew that we'd go digital with Moore's Law for many doublings before we needed to carry those signals. Japan invested billions in analog HDTV in the late 80s early 90s only to get screwed by the digital revolution.

Then at another internet company back in 1999 I had to deal with top management hysteria that we were not ready to transition everything from IPv4 to IPv6 real soon.

/ geek talk
  11. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Knowing when to pull the trigger on technology for any co. is what makes a successful co. or one that goes down the tubes. Remember, you can tell who the pioneers are by the arrows in their backs.