1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premiere Reboot Stuck - Drive Fail ???

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by ramblinche81, Dec 31, 2012.

1. ramblinche81

ramblinche81 New Member

Oct 6, 2012
    While my suspicions are bad hard drive, I am looking for recovery suggestions and I am surprised unit would fail this soon.

Bought a used Premier, unit is less than 18months old based on hard drive manufacture date.

After a recent power outage, unit is stuck in a reboot loop, and will not respond to Kickstart codes of any kind. Other forums advise replace drive.

I am hoping the brighter minds of this forum can offer suggestions for reviving a drive which is only 18months old. I've already tried the typical PC hard drive failure steps. Disconnect, pat gently, pat a little harder. Considering a deep freeze which has been known to break a hard drive spindle free.

Any other suggestions....and is hard drive failure less than two years part of the MTBF ...

Has anyone with early hard drive failure been able to get WesternDigital to provide a replacement drive ? Most have a three year warranty.

2. capkj

capkj New Member

Jun 3, 2006
    try doing a ddrescue on the drive. I have saved four tivos with big hard drives and lots of recordings doing this. It is time consuming to learn and pull off, but worth it if you want to save your recordings. I have had great experience with seagate replacing bad drives but after having so many seagate drives fail I am sticking to wd.

3. shamilian

shamilian Member

Mar 26, 2003
    NJ
    Unless your drive is an after-market drive ( retail ) WD will not have a warranty. They say if you buy a device that had a disk in it you need to get the warranty from the manufacturer of the device, in this case Tivo.

You can remove the disk, attach it to a PC and run it through the standard WD test ( download from the WD website ). This will tell you if disk is bad or you just have some corrupt files. You still need to rule out a failing power supply.

4. irepoder

irepoder New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    I bought a used Premiere with the same problem. The drive passed all the WD tests, so I copied a friends Premiere drive onto my drive using JMFS. Put it back in and Tivo booted up successfully. Clear and delete everything and it worked fine.