1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premiere reboot loop and can't get Kickstart to work

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by CraigThom, Sep 22, 2012.

1. CraigThom

CraigThom Member

Sep 27, 2002
    My less-than-a-month-old refurb (from TiVo) Premiere now boots to a green screen. After a few seconds it repeats.

I've had no luck getting any Kickstart codes to work.

If I just let it boot the amber light flickers and goes out. I do not get alternating green and amber.

If I press the pause button when the amber light flickers I get a solid amber light. If I enter a code at this point (I've tried 52, 54, and 57) the green and amber alternate for a few seconds, then it continues to the "soon" screen, then the green screen, then it reboots.

I am not seeing the red or blue lights at all during this process (until it reboots).

Am I doing something wrong?

I'll probably just send it in for replacement or repair, since it's under warranty, and I haven't put a 2TB drive in it yet, but I'd like to at least test the hard drive first.

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If it's going from the welcome screen (on the motherboard) to the few more minutes screen (on the hard drive), then it's talking to the hard drive.

Try KS 58, just for giggles.

The point at which to press pause happens at about 60 seconds after applying power on S1s, 2s, and 3s, so probably the same for S4s.

What does the green screen say when it pops up?

3. CraigThom

CraigThom Member

Sep 27, 2002
    Thanks for the reply. The Premiere uses a different method for getting into the Kickstart codes.

I got a replacement from TiVo. As it turns out, the defect in my first Premiere must have kept it from getting to the Kickstart tests, because the second one works doing the same thing I had been trying.

4. mds1978

mds1978 New Member

Oct 10, 2012
    By any chance, did you purchase your refurbished TiVo from woot.com? I did, and I'm having the EXACT same problem, literally word for word. I'm just wondering if they came from the same source.

5. CraigThom

CraigThom Member

Sep 27, 2002
    No, I got it directly from TiVo. The replacement is fine so far, but I'll probably wait a couple of months before cracking it open to put in a larger drive.