1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premiere HD failing after power outage

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by BrennanPalmer, Aug 12, 2012.

1. BrennanPalmer

BrennanPalmer New Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Chicago, Il
    I'll try and stay brief. If this is in the wrong forum please direct me elsewhere, thanks.

Was away from home for 2 weeks and came back to discover the Tivo acting very slowly. The menus lagged and the playback, live or recorded, does not work properly. Our cable is working on another Tivo (Series 2). I took out the cable card and Ethernet connection and playback of recorded shows works for 6-9 seconds before pausing for a few and then playing 6-9 seconds and so on.

I should note that the unit has always seemed very buggy, but I took that as a software issue.

Tivo support suggested getting a replacement for $150. I have a lifetime service on the unit which I was told was still good after the replacement.

2 questions (maybe I should be asking better questions but these are the ones I have): First, is the the HD failing and can I swap out a new one? Second, is there another way around getting a replacement unit like resetting the Tivo?

Any help is appreciated!

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If you do get it replaced, make sure you use a UPS on the new/replacement TiVo.

3. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    It does sound like a hard drive problem, possibly hardware or possibly software garbled during the power failure. I would suggest cloning the drive ASAP, since nothing relieves stress like having a good backup. Then run diagnostic software from the drive manufacturer to see if it's a hardware problem. Also search here for info about using the "Kickstart" diagnostic routines built into the TiVo. I'm not really familiar with them.

4. BrennanPalmer

BrennanPalmer New Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Chicago, Il
    Thanks for the suggestions. I wonder if cloning a bad drive makes sense? I'm reading about the kickstart stuff now. Thanks again!

5. BrennanPalmer

BrennanPalmer New Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Chicago, Il
    UPS makes a ton of sense too. Thanks.

6. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Cloning the drive gives you a snapshot backup to fall back on in case it suddenly fails completely. You can create a working replacement drive in various ways, but a cloned backup is the only one which will preserve your recordings. If they're not copy-protected, you can also transfer them to a computer drive using TiVo Desktop (or something better) while the TiVo drive is still working.

7. BrennanPalmer

BrennanPalmer New Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Chicago, Il
    Thanks. The Kickstart option will not kick on for me. I'm not finding another way around this other than to back it up some how and run a diagnostic that way. Tivo Desktop I'm trying now.

8. BrennanPalmer

BrennanPalmer New Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Chicago, Il
    Desktop seemed to work, but the files were short or truncated and it seems like they are corrupted. (I think) I feel like I'm SOL. My last thought is to reset the whole thing? I fear this is a little futile, but the shows files seem corrupt so what the heck, why not?

Note: I attempted to reset the box. First I opted to run the set up again option just to see what might happen. Now the unit is stuck trying to set up again. It gets to the point where it attempts to make a call to TiVo (via the network it knew was there) and it just restarts on it's own after a few minutes.