1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premiere Drive Upgrade Instructions - with all-in-one jmfs Live CD

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by comer, Sep 20, 2010.

1. comer

comer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    revision 104 - Nov-06-2010 - with Supersize!

1. Software is provided with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. Please read the licence terms (GPL v3).
    2. Opening your Tivo cover will void manufacturer's warranty.
    3. Although program is not designed to do (and actually attempts to prevent) data loss and distruction, it certainly has a potential to do so. It is ultimately YOUR responsibility to backup, stow away and otherwise protect your data.

[​IMG] If you like my work, buy me a beer... or milk... or a harddrive :D

This is a bootable Linux CD based on Slax distribution. It includes all software tools known to make a harddrive larger than the standard work in Tivo Premiere with expanded capacity.
    Basic usage, suitable for most users who only want to expand their Tivo disk capacity, is fully guided, based on simple prompt-choice automated script.

Once again, for clarity's sake, if youd don't want to tinker, experiment and/or dig in the code or Tivo, the "USAGE BASIC" and some hardware is enough to set you up with larger Tivo Premiere drive!

It was ONLY TESTED ON PREMIERE DISK. Also, it was not tested and probably will not work on multi-disk configurations.

The full procedure of making a larger Tivo Premiere disk contains the following:
    • Taking the original disk out of the Tivo
    • Copying the original disk onto a new larger one
    • Doing modifications of structures on the new disk to make extra space available for Tivo
    • Installing the new disk back into Tivo.
    This CD helps in doing steps #2 and #3 of this procedure.​

Current: Download link (Mirror thanks coold8! :up:)
    MD5 checksum:
    a5ef24d6841f75c5c5cfd5fd703f6069 *./jmfs-rev104.iso.zip
    Previous: Download link (Mirror courtesy of coold8 as well)
    MD5 checksum:
    c6241f5838cf5d1f4b451229b184f031 *./jmfs-rev68.iso.zip

You will need:
    1. Your original Tivo disk
    2. New disk larger than Tivo's
    3. Computer that you can boot from CD or USB
    4. Jmfs Live CD
    It implies that you also need an ability and willingness to:
    1. Open/close your Tivo box
    2. Take harddrive out of the Tivo and put harddrive back into it
    3. Connect/disconnect the original and the new harddrive to a computer using SATA or USB
    4. Burn ISO image on a CD or set up a bootable USB stick
    5. Boot up/shutdown a computer using the prepared bootable media
    6. Follow the guided prompt
    7. Wait for 2-4 hours for process to finish

• Download CD disk image (ISO). For basic usage you only need the "jmfs-*.iso.zip" file. Sources (jmfs-src*.zip) are also in the folder for those who want to build themselves. (download link above)
    • Unzip the ISO and burn it on CD
    • Connect a Tivo disk and a new large disk to a computer. SATA or USB - does not matter, it will work either way, but SATA is faster.
    • Boot that computer from the CD burned in step #2.
    • The guide will be started automatically, follow the prompts.
      • If you are upgrading from stock drive, you will need to do: Copy, Expand, Supersize - in that order.
      • If you are supersizing an already expanded drive, just do Supersize.
    If you ever find yourself in a shell (command prompt) you can:
    • Restart the guide by
      • "/root/guide.sh" command
    • Shutdown the system by any of:
      • pressing Ctrl-D
      • "exit" command,
      • "logout" command
      • "poweroff" command
    • Reboot the system by any of:
      • pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del
      • "reboot" command
    During the guided process there is a log file created "/root/log.log". If you experience any problems or errors please check that file for any extended error information. It would like to ask for assistance, please copy the log file somewhere, where you can access it later (e.g. mount an external USB drive or existing partitions and copy it there).

You are in the root shell, no need to "sudo" anything.
    You need to know your disk names. The source Tivo disk and the targer where you want to copy or the one you want to expand. To find harddrive names in the system:
    • run "fdisk -l" and make note of the device names and capacities (for ex. "Disk /dev/sda: 2000.3 GB").
    • run "hdparm -i <device>" (for ex. "hdparm -i /dev/sda") which will output the disk model (e.g. "/dev/sda: Model=WDC WD20EVDS-63T3B0")
    All disks are made read-only on boot, so if you are planning to copy and/or expand, make your target drive writable by "chmod u+w <target drive path>" (e.g. "chmod u+w /dev/sda").

There are scripts included to run tools separately, outside of the guided prompt:

• mfsadd.sh
      Expects 1 parameter - target drive for expansion (e.g. "/dev/sda").
      Drive must already contain copy of the original Tivo disk.
    • diskCopy.sh
      A "shortcut" for "ddrescue", expects two parameters: source disk and target disk or file name
      (e.g. "/dev/sda /dev/sdb" or "/dev/sda /mnt/sdb1/tivo.img").
    • mfslayout.sh
      Prints the layout of a Tivo disk. Usefull for testing/making sure the disk is OK.
      Expects 1 parameter - Tivo drive name (e.g. "/dev/sda").
    • jmfs.sh
      Base script to run a class from jmfs package. All arguments are passed to executed class.

You need Apache ANT 1.7.1 or above and JDK 1.6 or above.
    The ANT build script is included with sources. The targets are:
    1. build (default)
      only compiles the sources.
    2. clean
      deletes all built files, so all sources will be recompiled
    3. package
      compiles and creates packages - jar, bin.zip and src.zip for distribution.
  2. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    This thread should be stickied.
  3. wp746911

wp746911 New Member

Feb 18, 2005
    thanks comer. Very impresssed. Got a new premier on the way so I'll try it your new way soon! (did last one the 'old comer' way using linux and lots of command prompts)
  4. cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    Awesome work, thanks Comer :)
  5. Derek42141

Derek42141 New Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Thank you so much. I have a new premiere that i have never set up. I'm getting a cable card next week. (I live in a fairly small town with only one cable provider. Cable cards are a new fangled invention around here. They don't even advertise them. I guess they think we are all stupid rednecks anyway.) I really wanted to upgrade to 2tb before i started using.
  6. kturcotte

kturcotte New Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Will this transfer/copy everything over from the original drive as well?
  7. comer

comer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
  8. txporter

txporter One sec, almost done

Sep 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Is it possible to use this image on a flash drive rather than a burned CD?
  9. comer

comer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Yes, although it's a bit uglier - video modes are much more limited. I didn't want to hold on the release to investigate that ;)
    To make bootable USB, dowanload "Universal USB installer", start it and follow the instructions. When asked what type of Linux, uncheck "download ISO", choose either "Other" or "Slax 6" and navigate to ISO file.
  10. txporter

txporter One sec, almost done

Sep 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, comer! I guess it was more a curiosity than anything. I still have some blank disks lying around. ;) I am thinking about taking the plunge into Premiere ownership and this is the first thing on my list (bigger drive). Thanks for all your hard work on this!
  11. wp746911

wp746911 New Member

Feb 18, 2005
    I did the 'old comer' linux method using ubuntu run directly from a USB drive- I used the universal usb installer and did it that way- it was pretty easy to run it that way. Not surea bout the new fangled method.
  12. bmgoodman

bmgoodman Member

Dec 20, 2000
    Northern VA, USA
    I would recommend you upgrade AFTER if your cable company (A) pairs the cable card to the device and (B) insists on sending someone to your home and (C) charges for the installation.

In this case, if you ever need to re-image from your original disk, your cable card will still be paired. Otherwise, you're looking at another truck roll. Just my $.02.
  13. jbell73

jbell73 New Member

Oct 31, 2006
    Does this method allow access to tools to adjust the intellipark (WD Drives) or the AAM acoustic settings?
  14. comer

comer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    If you mean if the original manufacturer's tools are included - then no. As far as I know they are for DOS/Windows only? If you know what parameter to change, you can use included "hdparm".
  15. jbell73

jbell73 New Member

Oct 31, 2006
    First off -- GREAT WORK!!! This has been missing in the Premiere world for a while now.

As for the DOS only tools, that makes sense. I think hdparm -M will set the AAM settings. If wdilde3 is only available for dos then another quick boot solution would fix that (I used Hiran's Boot CD via USB to run the wdidle3 /S:0 setting to disable the intellipark). Without a floppy drive now a days, boot disks are harder and harder to come by.

BTW - I have not yet used your tool (plan to shortly on a 2TB upgrade). Do you have HD/SD recording capacities for different drive sizes using this method (1TB, 1.5TB, 2TB, 3TB etc..)? Is there a maximum drive size supported by the Premiere or this process?
  16. comer

comer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    The statistic is very limited - I didn't think of gathering it and people didn't think of sharing the information :) After all, what's important is how much you get out of your drive, not what someone esle got out of his, be it less or more, isn't it? ;)
    From all I know, 1T gives 145, 1.5T - 218, 2T - >250 hours of HD.

Yes, right now with this tools max is +2T of space. So if you go from 320G, the total max will be 2.3T :)
  17. True Colors

True Colors New Member

Oct 18, 2006
    I am not saying that you are wrong at all, but I am a bit lost with this......

What exactly is the advantage of waiting until after the cable card is installed to upgrade the hard drive?

Does the installation of the cable card alter the image on the original hard drive in some way?

I am about to buy a premiere myself with the small hard drive and then replace it with a larger one. I would like to understand things as best possible so I can go about this the best way possible.

18. HazelW

HazelW New Member

Dec 6, 2007
    No. Va
    The cable card pairing information is stored on the hard drive. If you ever need to replace the upgraded drive and you don't have a copy with the pairing information, you will probably need a truck roll from your cable company.
  19. akaussie

akaussie Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Super newbie question here - please forgive.
    My Premiere (first Tivo I've owner - I'm excited about it!) is arriving on Monday and I am wanting to upgrade the hard drive.
    I have an iMac which I would use for the process.
    Steps I'm assuming I need to take:
    1) Download the jmfs Live file and burn to a CD
    2) Connect original tivo drive and new hd to iMac (and suggestions on doing this easily?)
    3) Boot up computer using boot cd.
    4) Follow instructions

So I am hoping the only thing I am missing is the best way to connect the original tivo drive and the new hard drive to the iMac.

Thanks for much for the information - sorry for the newbie questions!
  20. comer

comer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Wow, I am excited to test this on iMac! :D:D
    I don't know how much access you have to the insides of your iMac. If it's easy as pop the door and SATA is right there - then I suggest using SATA. It's faster and drive model is recognized easily by the tool.
    If not, then use USB-to-SATA.