1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premiere and Tuner Conflicts? (OTA)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by wallix, Jul 28, 2012.

1. wallix

wallix New Member

Jul 28, 2012
    I am brand new to the TIVO community. I just bought a Premiere (Series 4) for OTA broadcasts only. I've been having some issues with recording shows, though.

For example, when watching the Olympics I will often get an alert saying that I have to change the channel in order to record a single show on another station. However, I know the TIVO can record 2 shows at the same time because it's been recording Suggestions in the background during the Olympics all night long.

Why is the Tivo telling me I have to to change the channel to the channel that's going to record when the Tivo will record Suggestions all night long without a hitch or asking me to change the channel?

Thanks!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Its not asking you to change the channel, its alerting you it needs to change channels on either tuner to record a show. It won't alert you if the tuners hasn't been changed after 1/2 hr's inactivity. On the current tuner, it will alert you as it wants to change the channel to record if the other is currently being used, you can select 'change the channel' or 'don't change'. You can also press CLEAR to clear the message and to select to change.

3. wallix

wallix New Member

Jul 28, 2012
    Thank you. I think it may have been the fact that it was recording so many Suggestions. I turned Suggestions off and now all the shows I've scheduled have been recording just fine without alerting me.

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    It has nothing to do with any of the recordings being suggestions

5. wallix

wallix New Member

Jul 28, 2012
    Sweet. Thanks for the in-depth explanation as to why.

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    He's right in that it doesn't matter how the recording was scheduled, but the likelihood and frequency of it happening is reduced if you have suggestions turned off.

7. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...

Your Tivo is simply asking permission to change the channel because it wants to record something. It's not asking because it's a suggestion, it's asking because it's going to record something - anything. Whether the scheduled recording is from an SP or ARWL, manual recording set to start at that time, you specifically told the tivo to record the program, or a Tivo self scheduled suggestion, the Tivo will ask permission to change the channel. So, turning off suggestions will have no affect on the behavior, you just won't see it as often.