1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premiere 4 upgraded to 2TB - will WD's Expander still work?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Ckought, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Ckought

Ckought New Member

Nov 29, 2006
    I have a Premiere 4 upgraded to 2TB - will "Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander 1TB" still work?
  2. mattack

mattack Active Member

Apr 9, 2001
    I don't remember -- but I think in the Series 3 forum, the sticky upgrading FAQ may cover this.

Though to be honest, if you're "just" adding 50% more space, you might just do it "manually" with external storage (which can be much bigger of course AND cheaper per TB), via Tivo's official downloading capability on Windows, or something like kmttg (free software that does the same thing that is available for other platforms).

That is, that won't give you "live" storage on the Tivo itself, but even though it's more roundabout, MIGHT be more useful in the long run.
  3. Mike-Wolf

Mike-Wolf New Member

Feb 25, 2013
    I think I remember asking TiVo about this particular issue last week and was told something about the TiVo OS maxing out at 2TB storage wise so that an external drive wouldn't be recognized at all regardless of it's capacity or being "official" or not. Hopefully this is no longer the case.

On a semi related note, you have a really cool TiVo ecosystem going with all those TiVo's. I'm hoping to get about 4 going, one in each bedroom per roommate and one for the living room.
  4. MeInDallas

MeInDallas New Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    I know thru Weakness you can have a total of 4TB, with 2TB internal, and 2TB external, but you have to send your Tivo to them to do the work. I dont know about adding the 1TB external on your own, but it seems there should be some way to do it.

5. Mike-Wolf

Mike-Wolf New Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Ok so then it is possible to get past the 2TB limit, just not easily. Thanks :up: