1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premier Tuner vs TivoHD Tuner - WITHOUT mcard

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jgkurz, Jun 13, 2013.

1. jgkurz

jgkurz New Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Oregon City, OR
    Hi Everyone,

I have a couple TivoHD's that I've used for years and until now have had little reason to change. I recently moved and no longer have access to Comcast cable. I now must use a rural cable company that does not provide cable cards. Thankfully, TiVo does have the channel guide for my new cable provider but the TivoHD only receives channel 2-99. I assume this is because the internal tuners are analog. The curious thing is that when I hook the cable directly to my newer flat panel television then run a channel scan I receive many more channels above channel 99. I'm guessing this is because most modern TV's have a built-in digital tuner for non-subscription channels. Both the Premier and TiVo HD specifications say "Analog Cable, Digital Cable (may require CableCARD)".

My question is this: If I buy the newer Premier (Not the 4 or 4XL) would it's new tuner receive more of the non-subscribed channels than the TivoHD does? Maybe like my TV does? Remember, I cannot use cable cards with my new cable company.

Thanks for commenting!

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    You should identify the cable company and where you are others might have experience with them.

The Premiere can receive cable channels broadcast in the MPEG 4 format that the TiVo HD can not but I find it hard to believe that a small cable company that doesn't even provide cable cards has converted to that. So I would guess the Premiere will receive the same channels as the TiVo HD.

3. jgkurz

jgkurz New Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Oregon City, OR
    Thanks for the response. I was guessing the same but I thought I'd ask the group to be sure. Take care.