1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premier to Roamio - Is HD menus quicker?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by kcossabo, Nov 21, 2013.

1. kcossabo

kcossabo Member

Dec 8, 2007
    All,

I have had a Premier for a year or so, and it is a good TiVo, step up from the two TiVo HD I also have.

BUT

I do not use the HD menus as the are slow / slugish. I keep the SD menus on so that when I hit list/My Shows, I get the list quick, not a pause......fill in a few suggestions, then show a list.

Has anyone that may feel the same as I do about the Premier, moved from a Premier, to a Roamio and can comment on the 'speed of the HD menu'?

2. rsnaider

rsnaider Active Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Night and Day.

The latest update did have some improvements for the Premiere, but overall the increased power of the Roamio boxes is obvious when you use them.

You will not be disappointed once you start to use them and as you can see from my Sig I still use both.

3. bogart

bogart New Member

Sep 24, 2002
    Jersey...
    The speed of the Roamio is a pleasure after years of "Please Wait."

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Pretty much the main reason I upgraded to a Roamio is for the speed. I didn't need 6 tuners and I already had a standalone Stream. But the Premiere was so frustratingly slow I bit the bullet and bought a Roamio. Couldn't be happier! The Roamio responds to every button press instantly. No more lag where suddenly it responds to 2-3 button presses at once, causing you to over shoot whet you were trying to get to. Well worth it in my book. :up:

5. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Same boat. Now have my Premiere XL in the basement workout room running SD menus and doing playbacks. It was our central unit until about a month and half ago when I got really tired of having to do two tuner and almost full 1TB disk management during the football and NASCAR racing seasons overlap. Also had two S3 HDXL units running, one of which was getting a bit non-drive related cranky

Perfect timing with the S5 release. Bought a Roamio Plus, upgraded the drive to 3TB, retired the cranky S3, and all was well. Until wife discovered the cool, now useable HD menus and made me replace her/our bedroom S3 as well.

The HD menus with the Roamio are a pleasure. More responsive than an S3 and about as responsive as an S4 in SD. What the Premiere should have been in the first place.

6. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Just been setting up my new Roamio. My impression so far:

Using the Premier: Driving an underpowered diesel truck loaded with 3 tons of gravel.

Using the Roamio: Driving one of those Japanese motorcycles that always pass me on the interstate like I'm standing still when I'm actually doing 65 mph :).

7. sleepdragon

sleepdragon New Member

May 22, 2010
    I would say Roamio's HD menu is just as fast if not faster than the SD menu on Premiere
    Owned Premiere XL for 3 years and tried HD menu every time after each update but always quickly switch back to SD
    It is such a surprise when I connect the Roamio Plus and finally get a snappy, fast respond HD menu
    I would also definitely recommend dropping in a 3TB drive to the Roamio

8. kcossabo

kcossabo Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Thank you all..... Christmas is coming...

9. RickStrobel

RickStrobel Active Member

Jan 19, 2000
    Is the UI just as snappy when using a Mini attached to the Roamio?

10. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yes, the Mini UI is just as snappy. The only "lag" that is experienced on the Mini versus Roamio is that channel changing for Live TV takes a few seconds longer due to the additional steps needed to transmit the new video signal from the Roamio to the Mini.

As another example, I know there was at least one forum member who was using the Mini for a while at their main TV to access their old Premiere XL4 since the UI speed was so much improved.

11. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    I don't see that extra "few seconds" delay on my Mini; they're both about the same. Anything extra is certainly less than a second, if that. Perhaps it varies by TV?

12. nws alpine

nws alpine New Member

Nov 7, 2013
    I have no lag on the mini as well. It's just as fast flipping through the channels as the Roamio.

13. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Looks like this is a YMMV. I know in the past, several forum members had complained about additional lag on channel surfing via the Mini.

14. bayern_fan

bayern_fan New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Yes. Virtually everything about the Roamio is faster than the Premiere.

(Case Closed)

15. RickStrobel

RickStrobel Active Member

Jan 19, 2000
    Maybe it's due to network speed - i.e. gigabit hardwired vs MoCA? Also, don't the Plus and the Pro have faster network connections?

16. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    My Mini feels WAY faster than my XL4 at doing anything. Including channel changes.