1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premier or Roamio ????

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Rkkeller, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Active Member

May 13, 2004
    I currently have a Premier upgraded to 318 hours of HD recording and am looking at the Roamio 4 tuner model now.

I don't need streaming and trying to figure out besides the extra 2 tuners, what do I get from a Roamio that I don't have or will eventually have on my Premiere??????

I saw the comparisons on the TiVo site and really don't see much different if you don't need streaming built in.

Thanks a lot.

Rich

2. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    The big difference will be the speed. The Premiere will never be speedy because of its processor and the Roamio has a much beefier processor that can handle everything well. There's also the app store which is still to be determined, but that could be great if they do it right.

3. ss-stingray

ss-stingray Sony DHG refugee

Aug 24, 2013
    Port...
    If your OTA the tuner is way better !!!

4. Loach

Loach New Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    I've been debating Premiere vs. Roamio vs. Mini for purposes of extending my whole home system to a 4th TV. I have a 2TB-upgraded P4 and 2 Minis currently.

Cheapest solution is obviously to just add a 3rd Mini, but I haven't been completely satisfied with the Minis so far. I seem to experience a lot of annoying audio drop-outs on live TV. I also find the 90 minute live TV timeout to be quite annoying, as even when I clear the "Are you still there?" message I momentarily lose video and audio. When it comes back I find it's now behind live TV and I have to hit the 30-second skip forward button to catch back up. The Minis are fine for me for secondary TVs, but I'm leaning toward having cablecard boxes on my 2 primary TVs.

I also thought about trying to bag a deal on a new or used Premiere, but I must admit my sales resistance is breaking down for a Roamio. I"m having a hard time convincing myself that buying two Series 4 boxes in 2013 is a good idea.

So, resistance may be futile. The base Roamio would be fine for me as far as tuners go, but with built-in MoCA, Gigabit ethernet and built-in Stream, the Plus just seems to me like it might be a better bet long-term.

5. bdspilot

bdspilot New Member

Dec 10, 2010
    I think that the Roamio is the only way to go, the only question is when to buy.

6. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2423377,00.asp Roamio vs Premiere comparison

7. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    Time will tell as more features are added and updates pushed out how it will affect the Roamio. Even the fastest of processors can get bogged down with badly written code.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The Premiere is now at the end of it's life and the Roamio is just beginning it's life. If history holds true then the Premiere will get 1 or 2 more updates and then it will be abandoned completely. The Roamio will continue to get updates for another 3-5 years.

9. berg0449

berg0449 Member

Nov 5, 2011
    One thing to keep in mind is that Roamio is cable OR OTA not both. But that will only matter if the Premiere you are looking had OTA. Some versions of Premiere have OTA, others do not.

10. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    Wow, that sucks.

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's possible TiVo has turned over a new leaf and will support the Premiere longer, but in the past once a new series is released they pretty much stop all development for the previous generation within a year.

12. brianric

brianric Active Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    All that means is the Premire will not have the latest and greatest. It will still record shows for many years to come.

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Of course. You can still use a S1 TiVo today if you want. You can also still use your original NES, your VCR and your laser disc player, but I doubt you'd want to. :)

14. mdscott

mdscott Active Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Hermosa...
    I still have some foreign LaserDisc's that are unobtainable in US in other format. And until I get around to digitizing...:)

15. brianric

brianric Active Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    Sure if you want a Ruth Goldberg setup and don't care for HD TV.

16. brianric

brianric Active Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Pennsville, NJ
    I'm finally getting ready to toss out my series 2 and Replay TV, both with lifetime service, into the trash.

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It was Rube Goldberg. :)

But my point was people like to have the latest and greatest so when TiVo abandons a platform it makes those units less desirable to a lot of people.

18. berg0449

berg0449 Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I know what you mean. I had 2 ReplayTV's that collected dust for several years. I went to Tivo after the ReplayTV's was not worth much value to sell.

As Tivo Series 2, do you need that for any LifeTime discounts? I thought I have heard some people keeping them around for just the Lifetime discounts.

19. Rkkeller

Rkkeller Active Member

May 13, 2004
    Thanks, I ordered the 4 tuner Roamio and 3TB HD. They should be here soon.

20. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Can you elaborate?