1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premier not recording SP's and deleting KUID's

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Auggie, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Auggie

Auggie New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Been a TiVo user since 1999 so I know the rhythms of a TiVo. In the past few months my nearly year-old Premiere unit has been acting up. At first I thought it was just me, but it's clearly something worse.

I first noticed in August when the unit decided not to record any episode of the SP that I had set for 'Boss' beyond episode 3. And episodes of This Old House also seemed to appear on the SP list, but then not record at all.

Then I began to notice KUID recordings disappearing altogether, even though the unit showed ample disk space for new stuff.

One episode of Bill Maher inexplicably recorded for only 10 minutes before self-terminating.

Again last night I found my half-watched 'Stones documentary recording deleted, and my wife groused about a missing Cowboy cheerleader episode that recorded 10 days ago.

And, the Recording History that would give any clues as to the demise of these recordings is empty, devoid of not only these incidents, but anything I deleted after watching this past weekend.

We watch very little so this is not a capacity issue unless TiVo is indeed not ridding itself of these older recordings. And nothing in our recording habits has changed. In fact, we're probably watching less TV now than ever before.

This behavior is rendering my TiVo virtually worthless. Maybe it's time to switch to the cable company's DVR and save some bucks.

2. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    If you are watching less TV now then the drive would be filling up. How much free space does the FSI indicate.

Have you run any of the KickStarts yet?

What version of software, did you get the update?

I understand that if most your recordings are KUID that can cause problems also.

3. Auggie

Auggie New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    We are recording less.

Typically in the 50-60% range with a dozen future recordings in the To Do List at any given time.

What's a KickStart?

Version 20.2.1.2-01-2-746. Not sure if I have an update.

How so?

As I say, I've been through 4 iterations of this device over 13 years. This is new behavior that only arose in the past few months.

It seems software related.

4. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
  5. HomeUser

HomeUser Active Member

Jan 12, 2003
    A2 Michigan
    Defiantly has the symptoms of data base corruption. Possible causes could of been a sudden power failure or a failing HDD. Run the Hard Drive Test (Kick Start 54) first. If the test fails do not run any other tests until you backup any recording you want to keep to another TiVo or PC.

See Premiere Drive Upgrade Instructions - with all-in-one jmfs Live CD for information on how to replace the HDD.

6. Auggie

Auggie New Member

Jan 25, 2003
    Thanks for you help jacob... Apparently I don't 'qualify' to send private messages on this forum. (must have 10 posts?)

Sorry for the delay on my end. Other issues got in the way of addressing this one.

I'm unclear which of the two steps you outlined that you would like me to try.... or both?