1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premier Memory Upgrade: Is it possible/Worth it?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by Juggs64, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Juggs64

Juggs64 Keith

Nov 25, 2013
    South Carolina
    I got a Premier a few months ago, just before Roamio was introduced of course and noticed that doing anything in the Tivo menu seems slow. Is it possible to upgrade the RAM or is the HD the only item that is upgradeable? If so, is there a got site to get the hardware?

2. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I'm guessing that a memory upgrade wouldn't speed up your Premiere very much, since the primary limitation is probably the limited processing speed. But has anyone every upgraded a Premiere's memory or seen any evidence that it would even help?

Most Windows computers end up being starved for memory as the OS and applications get more bloated, and sometimes a memory upgrade can do wonders. But TiVos run Linux, which is not such a memory hog. OTOH, a Premiere also uses Flash, which presumably is not only slow but also bloated. I'm guessing TiVos don't use virtual memory, so maybe "thrashing" can't be a problem, but are there any other signs that memory is ever a choke point? Thanks.