1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Breaking News - The sale is back... "Our “once in a lifetime” PLS promotion was such a hit, that we’ve decided to launch it again! The PLS Transfer Sale will be available again for the last 3 days of the month. This will include the BOLT+ 3TB, and 4 refurb units (BOLT 500GB, BOLT 1T, Roamio Pro and the TiVo Mini)." https://www.tivo.com/secondchancelifetimesale#/secondchancelifetimesale

Premier failing after just one year?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by David D, May 29, 2012.

1. David D

David D New Member

May 28, 2012
    I cut cable and went OTA a year ago this past April and bought a new TiVo Premier to satisfy my need for a DVR. It's been pretty reliable, locking up only a few times since I installed it, until recently...

A coue of weeks before its one year anniversary, my wife called to tell me that when she turned on the tv, it was on the "just a few minutes more" screen. This happened several times while I was out of town. It is happening more and more frequently now, and is becoming a daily occurance as of this past weekend. I have also encountered a "not connected to TiVo service" message a few times as well. I suspect the hard drive is failing.

I have called TiVo tech support several times and tried everything that they have suggested, but as I said before, the unit appears to be failing quickly. TiVo has offered to replace the unit with a remanufactured unit for $49. I am not happy with the fact that they want me to pay for a replacement that failed after only one year of service, but I am considering it.

Is there anything else that I should consider?

David

2. farmermac

farmermac Recorder of shows

Jan 31, 2012
    Well my experience with TiVo customer service is that they are polite, speak English, nice people. When it comes to figuring out this type of issue, they will try to have you switch out your cables, decoder cards, ethernet adapter, blame the signal, etc.

The only thing they can do to fix it is replace it. Sounds like your TiVo is definitely having a hardware failure. Unfortunately youre going to have to buck up the $50. If you have a pls, that the way to go. Othersise You can get a refurb for not much more (sometimes even down to $50).

Tivos one of the only electronic companies with a 90 day warranty. When my TiVo xl failed I took them up on a replacement for $79 and visa was happy to refund it as part of their warranty extension program that is included with every purchase made with a visa card.

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...

That sounds like a good deal for a device that is out of warranty(?is the warranty 90 days or 1 year?). I wish all other manufacturers would offer a refurb unit for a low price when the original products has issues out of warranty.

Of course it sounds like the $30 two year extended warranty would have been worth it to you. I typically buy the extended warranties on TiVos, but mainly to help with selling it later. Since with over two dozen TiVos over almost eleven years I have not had any issues.

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Hard drives fail. They all do. You just had some bad luck.

Farmer has noted the steps I would review. But, my preferred would be to make this an opportunity to get a larger/new drive from weaknees or see if you can upgrade it yourself to a 2TB drive (my personal favorite).

5. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    You should also consider the possibility that the power supply could be failing. Read up on it in various TCF threads.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    A. Take the replacement offer from Tivo
    B. Replace the Tivo on your own
    C. Fix/upgrade the Tivo
    D. Dump Tivo altogether

7. David D

David D New Member

May 28, 2012
    Well, after doing some reading here, looks like if I'm gonna have to pay for something, $49 is a bargain.

David

8. David D

David D New Member

May 28, 2012
    Just pulled the trigger on a replacement unit. It's getting to where it's rebooting at least daily now. While not happy that it failed right at the one year mark, I have to say that TiVo has been great to deal with. Hope this one lasts a lot longer. When the hard drive fails again (hopefully more than a year or two down the road this time), I'll probably just replace it with a larger, higher quality drive.

David

9. WillH

WillH Member

May 26, 2010
    North Atlanta
    Sounds like a hard drive failure - my 2 year old XL was doing the exact same thing. If you continue with the unit as is, at some point, your unit will probably not boot at all. I called Tivo and they replaced it under the extended warranty I purchased when I bought the XL. Purchased another extended warranty for the replacement unit for $40.

10. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Hard drives fail. The good news is yours is giving you enough warning to copy down settings and content if you wish.

11. David D

David D New Member

May 28, 2012
    Speaking of settings and content, I paid for an advance replacement, so I'll have both my old and new machines for awhile. Is there any way to transfer settings and/or content from the old to the new?

12. farmermac

farmermac Recorder of shows

Jan 31, 2012
    You would think given that tivos are little computers running Linux that TiVo could have made it simple to backup your entire profile (season passes, thumbs ratings, etc) but the only think you can do is transfer season passes on the website once you add the new TiVo to your account

In my case it scrambled the season passes all up order wise

13. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    If both are active you can probably use the normal MRV method to move shows over, however chances are when you activate the new Tivo, the old one will be de-activated at the same time. Not familiar with the process though, YMMV.

I think the better option is to start transferring shows you want to save to a computer NOW, then transfer them back when you get the new Tivo.

I'm not familiar with the online Season Pass Manager, but you might check into that. There may be a way to save your season passes.

14. WillH

WillH Member

May 26, 2010
    North Atlanta
    If both are still active and showing up in the Season Pass Manager, you should be able to transfer the passes to the replacement unit. If Tivo has deactivated or otherwise removed the old one from the system, you are out of luck - you will have to go in and re-create all the passes. Suggest you go through and at least copy down the passes and the settings now while you can. I have had my replacement for about 2 weeks now and I am still creating season passes or piddling with the ones I thought I had setup correctly.

15. ltxi

ltxi New Member

Feb 14, 2010
    Colorado
    Ask Weaknees if they can do it for you.