1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premier Digital Tuner Question - no cablecards

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by dgutley, Nov 15, 2012.

1. dgutley

dgutley New Member

Dec 27, 2005
    I have digital cable in the Den. The TV; a magnavox LCD TV with a digital tuner. I plug my cable directly into the TV and have it search for channels and it finds the channels -- doesn't give me names, just numbers 100.19 etc.. Thus, with the digital tuner in it, I can watch non-scrambled channels without the box.

My question is: Do the new Premier boxes have this capability? Do I need a cable card to watch non-scrambled digital channels? I understand that I will need a cablecard to watch the HBO's etc.; but am curious about the non-scrambled channels. If so, does it give you names for the channels?

Thanks.

2. waterchange

waterchange Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Yes, the Premiere and Premiere XL4 have QAM tuner that can tune unencrypted cable.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    While the QAM tuners will be able to find the channels and tune them for live TV you wont be able to record anything because the guide data is all based on the remapped channel numbers used by the cable company. If you want the full functionality of the TiVo then you have to get a CableCARD.

Dan

4. irepoder

irepoder New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    You can record the QAM channels by using the record by time or channel function. Make sure the new QAM channels are selected in your channel list first. I keep the regular channels displayed as well, to get the guide data.

Mark

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    While manual recording is possible it defeats the purpose of TiVo. The purpose of TiVo is to be set and forget. If you have to constantly monitor lineup changes then it becomes a lot less useful.

Dan

6. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Without a CableCard you should be able to tune the SD digital channels and any HD ClearQAM channels on the cable. You can tell the Tivo that you do not intend to install a CableCard and have it download Guide Data based on that. Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, all it assumed that I could get when I tried that was the analog versions of the cable channels even though my digital ones are not encrypted. Bottom line is that I had to manually input the digital channel number and, of course, had no Guide Data for it.