1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-purchase questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by scole250, Jul 17, 2012.

1. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    1. Has the software been updated to use both processors yet?

2. How many M cards and tuning adapters does the XL4 need? (TWC RDU)

3. I currently have TWC whole house DVR, but it stinks. Besides the weak features, the DVRs and other receivers frequently fail to tune a channel and the get message that it's not currently available. Last night it was happening on several channels simultaneously, both HD and SD. I had always thought this was a symptom of over extended SDV, but a reboot seemed to clear it up (the TWC hardware needs rebooting at least once a week). Is "channel not available" common with the Tivos on TWC SDV?

4. Are there new Tivo models on the near horizon?

I've used Tivo in the past and loved them, but the copy protection TWC inflicted killed the multi room feature, which is a big must have for us. I'm about ready to invest in the Premiere's, but I want to make sure there are no outstanding issues or new models worth waiting for.

2. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    I can answer a couple.

Yes Both CPU's have been enabled since Last Fall

You only need 1 Card and TA

There is rumors there may be a new model next year with the built in streaming box that comes out in the fall

3. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    What's the built in streaming box and how is that different than the streaming already supported by the Premieres?

4. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    on the main page of this website you can see a preview of Tivo Stream. For now it will be a box that attaches to your network to allow you to stream your recorded shows to tablets, smartphones etc. on your network

There is rumor it will get built into the box next year

5. scole250

scole250 Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Goldsboro, NC
    I have TWC, who copy protects everything except local channels. Can you stream the copy protected recordings to other Tivos for viewing?

6. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Stream Yes, Transfer No

7. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    And only to other Series 4 units (Premiere/Elite/XL4), not Series 3 or earlier that don't support streaming.