1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powering off??

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by MrDell, Jul 8, 2012.

1. MrDell

MrDell Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Hello all......Just getting to know my new Tivo, and so far I am very pleased. I have one question. I am comming from a Verizon Motorola DVR and when I finish watching TV I would shut off the TV and press the "off button" on the DVR remote to put the DVR in a screen saver mode. Is there any similar "screen saver " mode on the Tivo, or do I just leave the Tivo on the currant TV station and just shut the TV? I notice the green light is always on in the front.....Is this normal?.........Thanks for any Info!

2. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    just tum your tv off the grre light is always on thats normal!(unless your recording programs then at least one light will be red,or blue if your transferring or downloading a program from another tivo.

3. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    From the Tivo menu you can find a "standby" mode but all that does is turn off the video output. Everything else stays powered up.

4. MrDell

MrDell Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Rhode Island
    Thank you so much for the info! It has been alot of fun learning the nice features the Tivo has to offer.

5. PCurry57

PCurry57 Liberal Hippie Chick

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Actually there is a way to turn all lights off, besides standby mode.

[Settings & Messages] ->
    ... [Settings] ->
    . . . [Displays] ->
    . . . . [Displays on Front of the DVR] ->
    . . . . . [LED Lights] -> {On/Off}

6. rvsj

rvsj New Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Standby mode does one other important (to me) thing.
    It prevents emergency alert notices from interrupting an in progress recording.

7. tre74

tre74 Member

Nov 11, 2010
    The front panel lights will turn off when in standby mode. I have my TiVo Premiere hooked up to an AV receiver. When in standby mode, lights go out and audio and video output is shut down. Recordings continue while in standby.

8. lillevig

lillevig Hot in West Texas

Dec 6, 2010
    San Angelo, TX
    Yes, I was a little lean on my answer. What I should have said was that it looks like the box has gone off but the motherboard and hard drive (the main components) are still running normally.