1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Cable Specs?

Discussion in 'TiVo Stream' started by anthonyd46, Apr 11, 2014.

1. anthonyd46

anthonyd46 New Member

Aug 2, 2010
    I bought one of these on ebay and it didn't come with a power cord. They don't know the amp or volts thats required. I contacted tivo they said they would send me a cord for free because they couldn't find out what the specs of the cord were either. So i wait a week the package comes and its an ethernet cord. They claim they are going to send the right cord this time but I have to wait another week now. I want to at least plug something into this so I can test it and make sure it works so I can tell the ebay seller if there is any issues. Does anyone know?

2. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    What did you buy?

3. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you tell us the model number (should be on the back and start with TCD) we can probably tell you where you can go locally and pay entirely too much money for a cord that will work.

EDIT:

If the reason you posted this in the TiVo Stream forum is because you bought a TiVo Stream, ignore the above.

It sounds like you told TiVo that you needed the cable that plugs in the back, and that's why they thought you meant an Ethernet cable--because you didn't tell them that you need the power supply--something the eBay seller should have either included or indicated in the auction listing in big print that it was not included.

The Stream does not use a power cord that delivers 120V AC to the unit for something inside it to convert to DC at the voltage level it needs, it uses a power supply (commonly called a wall wart) that plugs into the wall socket and has the "stuff" right there encased in plastic to do the power conversion and has a light gauge cable that plugs into the back of the Stream via what's called a co-axial power plug and jack.

Is there a sticker or something on the bottom of the Stream that says anything about DC Volts or mA or anything like that?

4. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
  5. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I would think most people, when you say PC cord, would think of the thing with a 3 prong plug at one end and the 3 vertical slits on the other.

I goofed on my previous answer by just clicking on a thread called "power cable specs" and not noticing that it was in the Stream thread.

The stream doesn't use a power cable, it uses a power adapter--a wall wart.

6. anthonyd46

anthonyd46 New Member

Aug 2, 2010
    I did use the word power supply in the original chat I was just paraphrasing here thinking I didn't need to be insanely detailed that's my mistake sorry. I don't see anything in that link about the amps or volts for the stream power supply. The supply is a box that plugs in the wall not a cord I just want to know
    The amps and volts to that box so I can test this thing out of possible. The ebay seller did say it didn't have a power supply I knew that they were charging 84 dollars for a brand new stream that was missing the power supply. I figured since retail is 129 that for sure I can find a power supply for less than 45 dollars. I didn't think it would be so much trouble to track this down nor did I think tivo would not have the information. Does no one here own the stream? If you do can you just look at the power supply for me and tell me the specs ? The model is tcda94000.

7. anthonyd46

anthonyd46 New Member

Aug 2, 2010
    I asked someone selling one on an ebay auction and they said :

12v, 2 amps, positive tip polarity.

Can anyone verify this?

8. poppagene

poppagene User

Dec 29, 2001
    That's the specs for the power adapter for my tivo stream

9. telemark

telemark New Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Same here.

12volts, 2amps, DC, +positive center.
    Not important (don't have to match this): Input: 100v-240v AC 50/60Hz 0.6A
    Even less important: Level 5 efficiency, rfi choked

It has a Tivo logo on it, so one of these numbers is probably their part number:
    R0612
    Model: KSAS0241200200VU
    SBOM-00836-000A1

12v is very common, and a number of my old routers seem to fit this size. You might have one at home.

10. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    12V, negative ground wall warts are common, but most are only 1 Amp or less.

11. manhole

manhole New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Would someone be willing to post a picture of the label on their TiVo Stream ac adapter? I called TiVo to order one but they can't find the part or specifications. Thank you.

12. CinciDVR

CinciDVR Member

May 24, 2014
    Weaknees sells these for $29.99. They list the part # as SPWR-00023-000. They say it works for both the Mini and the Stream.

13. fcfc2

fcfc2 Active Member

Feb 19, 2015
  14. CinciDVR

CinciDVR Member

May 24, 2014
    Well, the part number shown on my Mini adapter is SPWR-0023-000A7, and the output is listed as 12V, 1.0A. Given that this a different P/N than what Weaknees is selling, and the output is 1.0A instead of 2A, I don't think it's advisable to simply buy a Mini power adapter off of ebay. This is likely a case where the Stream adapter will work for the Mini (because it's over qualified) while the Mini adapter will not work for the Stream.

Edit: Just looked at the ebay link posted. It's not an actual Tivo power adapter, so it's output specs are different. It's output is 1.5A which is better than the 1A output of the Tivo Mini adapter, but still less than the stated 2A required for the Stream.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  15. fcfc2

fcfc2 Active Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Hi,
    If the 1.0 Amp rating of the one being sold by Weaknees is supposed to work ok with either, and I trust Weaknees has a clue, than it is a pretty good bet that the one on Ebay which is actually rated as 1.5 Amps, not 1.0, is likely going to work fine. I have often found that the actual power ratings on many devices are "flexible" and while the voltage output has to be the same or higher, the draw in amps is often much smaller than the rated supply.

16. CinciDVR

CinciDVR Member

May 24, 2014
    I don't see an amperage rating for the one being sold by Weaknees. It only lists a part number which is similar, but not the same, as the part number on my Mini power adapter. So either the adapter being sold by Weaknees is indeed only 1A, in which case the adapter being sold on Ebay would be perfectly fine OR the adapter being sold by Weaknees is actually 2A, in which case the adapter being sold on Ebay will be under powered.

The earlier posts in this thread indicate that the Tivo power adapter included with the stream has an output of 2A. I don't think that Tivo would include a 2A adapter if a 1A adapter would do when they clearly have 1A adapters available (i.e. those included with the Mini). So I think it's reasonable to assume that the adapter being sold by Weaknees is a 2A adapter.

17. manhole

manhole New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Just to update everyone, the Roamio Basic power adapter available from TiVo for $5.99 (free shipping) works with the Stream and Mini. It's 12v 2.0A. The 2.0A is the maximum it's rated for, so if a device only needs 1.0 or 1.5A it will simply draw what it requires. The voltage and polarity matches up perfectly.