1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power button?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by tomhorsley, Aug 20, 2013.

1. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I see the Roamio has broken with tradition and actually has a power button.

Anyone know what it actually does?

Does it put it in standby?

Does it just tell it that no one is watching so it will know it is OK to switch tuners?

Actually turn it completely off? (Probably not that since it still takes forever to boot).

2. brentil

brentil New Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Relating to boot times when the TiVo4 2nd CPU was enabled we saw a 50% reduction in boot time. The new TiVo5 uses a CPU that's at a minimum 3x more powerful as well as using faster internal drives. We should see a significant reduction in boot time with TiVo5 hardware.

3. NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    Estimates for the boot time?

4. P42

P42 New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    What does the second post have to do with the OP's question?

5. brentil

brentil New Member

Sep 9, 2011
    It relates directly to his post.

6. P42

P42 New Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Slow down and think about it, why would Tivo want to turning the box off? Six-pack of beer says it put the box in standby, and nothing more.

7. trip1eX

trip1eX Active Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Yeah it sleeps it is my guess. It really should go to sleep on its own though especially during low tv watching times like 2am-5pm M-F where you aren't likely to be around for the last 1/2hr of whatever it caches.

8. atsang

atsang New Member

Jun 25, 2004
    austin, tx
    a power button is still better than yanking the power cord for those rare times you want to power down.

9. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Not rare for me - I've got my Premiere hooked to a z-wave appliance switch so I can power cycle it from my phone (and also every morning around 2 am from a cron job :).

10. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I thought I might be able to discover the answers to questions like these by downloading the manual pdf file, but so far haven't found a pdf file anywhere on tivo.com :-(.

11. brentil

brentil New Member

Sep 9, 2011
    A dual purpose button would be nice. Tap for standby & hold for power cycle. I hate crawling around back to yank it.

12. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    That's what she said. ;) (Sorry. lol) We can do this now by holding down the Input button on the Premiere (in case you weren't aware).

13. brentil

brentil New Member

Sep 9, 2011
    I did not, thank you!

14. BiloxiGeek

BiloxiGeek Reality Challenged

Nov 18, 2001
    Gulfport,...
    Wasn't aware of that myself. Which input button do you mean? The one on the remote?

15. bayern_fan

bayern_fan New Member

Aug 11, 2013
    The remote's input button can put the unit into standby mode? That's news to me! :up:

16. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sorry, I mean the Format button on the front of the Tivo box itself. Hold it down for several seconds and it'll reboot the box.

I got the button name wrong. :)

17. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    I believe he mis-spoke, and he's referring to the "Format" button on the front of the physical unit, though I'm not sure I've tried it on the Premiere

18. Troy J B

Troy J B Lucky 200 Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    To be clear the button is labelled "TV Pwr". Hitting it didn't do anything in my setup (I didn't configure the remote for my tv). This is the remote that came with the Roamio Pro (not sure about the base model remote).

19. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I wasn't talking about the remote. I was talking about the circle with vertical dash button on the front of the box in some of the pictures.

20. Troy J B

Troy J B Lucky 200 Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    Ah, pushing the green circle on the front of the box, does put the TiVo into standby.