1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potential new TiVo buyer, I have Moca questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by FredT, Sep 26, 2013.

1. FredT

FredT New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    I currently have Comcast basic service with NO Comcast boxes. I use tuners on my Macs to record and then stream to Apple TVs on our two HD TVs. Well, Comcast is going to very soon encrypt basic channels, so I have to do something. I really don't want to go satellite, and we are in a very difficult area for antenna, so I thought TiVo would be the easiest solution. I started reading all about it, and soon discovered that I needed to learn about Moca. Yikes. Looks simple, but the diagrams on the TiVo web site all show a cable modem in the mix, which I don't have, so I'm confused.

My setup would be:

Roamio Plus at the main TV, no ethernet available
    Mini at second TV, also no ethernet available
    Moca adapter in the equipment closet
    The closet has Uverse modem, Apple Airport Extreme, and ethernet switch

What do I need to connect the Moca adapter to to establish the Moca network? I assume router and switch, but will that be sufficient? Thanks.

2. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    Do you have wireless available? Roamio Plus can use that for internet and then share it to create a MOCA host/bridge, which would allow you to hookup a Mini in another room using only the coaxial / MOCA.

Otherwise (or if you want wired internet):
    - hookup a moca adapter in the equipment closet to wired ethernet
    - hookup roamio plus and mini only with coaxial

Also realize that you will need to get a cablecard for the roamio plus so it can decode the encrypted channels.

3. FredT

FredT New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    I do have a wireless network. I stream wirelessly to Apple TVs at both HDTV locations. However, on TiVo web site it states that for streaming from Roamio Plus to Mini, ethernet or Moca should be used. Since I don't have ethernet at the TV locations, I want to set up Moca. I want to do what you stated under "Otherwise...". Is that going to work? I'm just confused because all of TiVo's diagrams have that cable modem in the mix.

4. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    There isn't a specific relationship between the moca adapter and the cable modem. It's placed that way for convenience and to avoid potential issues that don't apply, since there's no cable modem in your case. :)

5. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    Do you have coaxial cable (normal cable tv wire) in the locations for the roamio plus and the mini?

additionally do you have coaxial where in the equipment closet?

If you have it only in the roamio and mini locations then you can save yourself 50 bucks and not use another moca adapter in the equipment closet. Just use the wireless to provide internet. The multi room streaming will happen over the coaxial. Just hook to coaxial to both the roamio plus and mini.

If you specifically want wired ethernet to be in the mix, then you need coaxial where you also have ethernet. And then you can hookup a moca adapter there.

6. FredT

FredT New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    OK, I THINK I understand now. Let me check it with you guys: the only need for the Moca adapter attached to the router is so that the Roamio Plus can have a faster connection to the modem. But since I only have 12 Mb internet, wireless should be fine. The Moca network stuff is only needed to go between the the Roamio Plus and Mini. Do I have it right?

Thank you both very much!

7. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    Yes. As long as your wireless provides a good connection (as in you don't have interference / signal dropping out) then you can use wireless.

I personally prefer wired for everything. But I also wired my house so I have ethernet available at my Roamio. You don't, so why spend another 50 bucks when you don't need to.

8. FredT

FredT New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    I do have good wireless where the Roamio Plus would sit.

I thought of a potential reason to have A Moca adapter in the equipment closet, streaming to iPads. If I'm streaming with a wireless connection for the Roamio, wireless bandwidth would be used both from the Roamio to the router and then from the router to the iPad. I guess I can wait and see if that's really a problem or not.

Speaking of streaming, is there any way to stream to a Mac?

9. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That can be an issue with that setup. However if you have a good wifi connection it shouldn't be a problem. The recoded iPad streams are only about 2.5Mbps so even if it has to send to the router and then to your iPad you'd only be using about 5Mbps total of wifi bandwidth which should be no problem for a good N connection. But you should try it out. If you have issues you can always add a MoCa adapter after the fact.

Currently streaming only works on iOS devices. Android support is coming but there have been no announced plans for other platforms.

10. FredT

FredT New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Thanks for that information. I shouldn't have a problem then with that kind of load on my network.

OK, thanks. I've seen that there are ways of getting files from the Roamio to a Mac. How difficult is this, and what kind of files does one end up with?

11. BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Yeah the iPad/iPhone/iPod streaming is only in the neighborhood of 2.1 mbps on the "Best" quality setting. Well within any respectable wireless limits.

Edit: Beaten to it. ;)

I don't know a lot about moving stuff to the Mac, but I believe a Java-based program called KMTTG can do this. The resulting file is either a ".tivo" file which is proprietary, or it can be encoded to whatever profile/bitrate you choose from the list as long as the recording is not copy-protected by the broadcaster.

12. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The official way of doing it is by buying Roxio Toast but there are community tools to do it. However these are full size MPEG-2 recordings so they will eat up a lot of your wifi bandwidth.

13. Surrealone

Surrealone TiVoOnThEmInD

Dec 8, 2006
    Great thread with good info. I have had my Roamio for a few weeks now and I also have MoCa with some ethernet connected devices. But it just so happens my Roamio is connected to ethernet so thanks to this thread I have removed my MoCa adapter that was connected to my router and now using my Roamio as a bridge for the rest of my home :) One less device to deal with....

Thanks Again

14. FredT

FredT New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    Well, it didn't work. It is not possible to set up a Moca network between the Roamio Plus and the Mini and at the same time have the Roamio connect to the internet using wifi. So I'll have to get a Moca adapter to go in the equipment closet. Unfortunately I can't try out the Mini until it gets here. And what's with the pricing on those things? Tivo sells them for $30 less than Amazon!

15. GBTheater

GBTheater Tivo user since 2000

May 4, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Is it the Moca adapter or the Mini that Tivo sells for $30 less than Amazon?

I was surprised to see that someone had told you that you could create a bridge using the wireless. That would never work. The Tivo can't dish out DHCP and can't act as a bridge. Injecting Moca at your Internet connection is the best solution. You'll now have high speed ethernet available throughout your entire house without running CAT5. You can even connect an 8-port switch behind a MOCA adapter and connect all of your other ethernet equipment to cut down on the WiFi traffic in your house. MOCA operates at better than 200Mbps, so it's plenty fast for all home networking needs.

16. FredT

FredT New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    The Moca adapter is $30 at TiVo. Amazon sells the Mini for about $10 less than TiVo. I bought it Best Buy at regular price because I needed it fast. Now I guess I could return and order from Amazon since I have to wait on the Moca adapter. :)

17. Icarus

Icarus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Upcountry...
    edited my post:

I just tried bridging wirelessly on my Roamio Pro and it doesn't allow it. Not sure why. After you set up and test the wireless network connection, it drops the wireless connection and complains about not having an internet connection when you try to "use this dvr to create a moca network"

You can still bridge wirelessly, you'd just need an external wireless router (ie, airport express) to act as the bridge.

Why do you need a separate Moca adaptor? Your Roamio Plus has one built in. I guess if you're not near your wired network connection you might want to set up the Moca network somewhere else?

-David

18. TivoQueensDad

TivoQueensDad New Member

Jan 24, 2005
    NJ
    My old setup:
    Netgear MCAB1001 MOCA adapters in my office, family room, MBR and basement so I can extend my network to those locations (office is where the cable modem is). The family room MCAB1001 connects to an 8 port switch which has ethernet ports for the TV (still in use for HBO GO), DVR, gaming system, disk array.

New setup:
    Added - Tivo Roamio in my family room & Tivo Mini in my bedroom.
    Removed - MCAB1001 from my MBR
    Tivo Roamio - I used ethernet to hook into the switch so I didn't lose the other connections
    Tivo Mini - Since I only needed the TV hooked to the internet, I used the MOCA connection on the Mini

No setup was necessary. Everything just plugged in and worked. I was amazed and pleased.

19. FredT

FredT New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    The Roamio Plus is in the family room, the router is in a closet. I don't have ethernet in the family room, but I do have a coax connection in the closet. So the Moca adapter will attach to the router to connect the Moca network to the internet.

20. Bphagan

Bphagan brettdog

Jul 22, 2010
    Florida
    My Roamio Pro is coming this week and I was expecting the built in wifi with built in MOCA to both work together.
    I read here that you can only use one or the other at the same time.
    Now I need to add a MOCA adapter at Cable modem or add WiFi access point to the Roamio location.
    That seems like a poor design to me.

At least I now know so I don't waste time setting up the system.

Thanks for the thread.
    bdog