1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Port 80 not open. Do I need to open it?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by sehale, Jan 25, 2014.

1. sehale

sehale Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Newark, DE
    I recently had to factory re-set my Comcast Gateway modem (Arris TG862). All is working fine. I did a diagnostic check on my Premiere XL and it failed the port test saying Port 80 was not open. The Tivo is hard wired to my networked via LAN and can pull down the guides fine (I have guide info to 2/5/14), access my desktop so I can show home pictures and videos on the TV, transfer shows to and from an older Tivo on the network, and Tivo Desktop sees it and lets me download recordings fine. I can also stream Netflix. In short, I don't see that I am missing out on anything so do I need to open that port and what value would it be? Thanks

2. stahta01

stahta01 Simple Member

Dec 23, 2001
    Fort Wayne,...
    Port 80 is used to serve web pages.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

I would verify that the TiVo can be remote controlled if you wish to have that feature outside of your home. If you do NOT want that feature it likely does NOT matter to the low end TiVos Series 2 and 3. But, it might for a Premiere XL.

Tim S.

3. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It's a red herring, the Tivo will still work fully without it being open, that includes web/remote components

4. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Don't worry about it, it's not an issue.