1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pop when changing channels/menu/tuners?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by NoVa, Aug 29, 2013.

1. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    Love my new Premiere4 since I got it back in June.

I run my Tivo via HDMI to a Panasonic ST60 plasma for video & optical cable to a Sony receiver for the audio portion. I set the receiver to TV+AMP.

This way I have the option of watching TV(TiVo) with or without the receiver as a sound carrier.

Occasionally when I change channels or video content from menu there is a sudden pop sound that goes off before the real content audio picks up.

Is this a HDMI handshake issue or something else?

2. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i performed troubleshooting trying to eliminate this for months following the software update last fall on my pxl and sony avr. here's what i found:

• the "pop" was much worse using optical instead of hdmi, and it improved when i disconnected/reconnected the same hdmi cable.
    • switching to a different hdmi cable offered no further improvement over the original disconnect/reconnect.
    • my "pop" disappeared using hdmi with the latest software update. i haven't tried optical since then.

both my optical and hdmi run through the avr. directly connecting an hdmi cable to my tv (mitsu) didn't stop the "pop".

what software is your p4 running?

3. NoVa

NoVa Member

Feb 26, 2006
    NoVa
    Software v.20.3.1-01-2-750

Any rhyme or reason?

4. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    same here
    if you've tried hdmi only to both the avr and tv(no optical), then component with optical(no hdmi), tried different cables for each setup, double checked each connection, and the pop happens with each of these setups, there's nothing else i know to try.

there is very little in the forums about this, only that it happens. tivo support wasn't any help, hinting the cause was a faulty hdmi cable, a loose connection, or my avr's ability to decode the signal. i never had this trouble with directv hddvrs, and i still use the same cable and avr today.

my pop suddenly disappeared following the last software update, and all i can say is i was very thankful. sorry i couldn't offer any help.