1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pop-up ads

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by PHeadland, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Oct 19, 2013 #1 of 274
    PHeadland

PHeadland New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    San Mateo, CA
    Leaving aside how I feel about paying around $1,000 for a TiVo plus lifetime service in order to be pestered by advertising (hint - not positive)...

We are seeing a "Cryptonite free trial" ad op up above the pause bar, Pressing "down" gets rid of it OK, but the damn' thing comes back every single time we pause, which is getting really, really old, because we generally pause so we can look at the picture, and the advert covers up a big chunk of it. I did the SPS-Pause trick (which I did not want to do, because I find the bar useful) but even then the ad flashes up annoyingly for about half a second when I pause.

I don't recall our old TiVo HD behaving like this (I vaguely recollect that once you dismissed an ad it was gone for good) - is this something new, or do I just remember wrong?

More to the point, is there some way to retain the bar but stop the excessively frequent pop-up ad (I don't mind seeing it once in a while, it's the excessive repetition/flashing that is infuriating).

As to the value of the advertising; right now I would happily punch someone from Cryptonite in the face, because it is so intrusive and annoying. The chances of me every wanting to buy something from them are zero.

2. Oct 19, 2013 #2 of 274
    DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    I'm a new TiVo owner, so I wasn't sure about the history of ads. A week or so ago I remember seeing something on the TiVo Central page (I think) about CBS shows. Now the Carbonite ad.

Whether one is paying month to month or lifetime -- it seems unfair to get ads. If the TiVo service was free I wouldn't mind the ads -- but it's not free.

3. Oct 19, 2013 #3 of 274
    kbmb

kbmb Active Member

Jun 22, 2004
    NH
    I can't STAND the ads while pausing a show or even worse....when you go to delete a recording at the end, the Keep or Delete box shows up and then a split second later a carbonite ad shows up at the bottom.

If they really have to do ads, do it in the discovery bar.

-Kevin

4. Oct 19, 2013 #4 of 274
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    The Pause Ads were "upgraded" recently and they do take longer to appear and disappear even with my beloved SPSPS setting which is annoying. I turned off SPSPS setting just to take a longer look at the Pause Ad and it's ridiculous how big and intrusive it has become. I can tolerate ads in Discovery Bar or main page but TiVo is taking it too far these days...

5. Oct 19, 2013 #5 of 274
    cosmicvoid

cosmicvoid Tivo noob

Oct 13, 2013
    Seattle-ish
    "spsps" ??

6. Oct 19, 2013 #6 of 274
    ajayabb

ajayabb Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Moorestown NJ
    Select Play Select Pause Select (Easter Egg)

7. Oct 19, 2013 #7 of 274
    cosmicvoid

cosmicvoid Tivo noob

Oct 13, 2013
    Seattle-ish
    From which screens is this usable?

Are there other Easter Egg commands? How do I find out about them?

8. Oct 19, 2013 #8 of 274
    crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Many of us totally agree. I find pause ads to be annoying because many times I am pausing because I want to see what is on the screen. And when you dismiss a damn pause ad, don't you think that should "stick" for at LEAST the program you are watching?

The Discovery Bar is annoying enough- robbing me of valuable space for a bunch of nonsense I do not want and its real purpose is to try and hide/blend in the ads. But inserting things in the menus and video is unacceptable, especially if they are going to keep pushing the limits as to how big it becomes.

Are you listening to us, TiVo?

9. Oct 19, 2013 #9 of 274
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Normal SPS backdoors can be entered while playing back an existing recording, but this one is special requiring either a Pause Ad or Showcase video to enable it. Easiest way to enter SPSPS backdoor without having to jump through hoops is using kmttg Remote where you will also find a list of all available SPS backdoors.

10. Oct 19, 2013 #10 of 274
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've been seeing ads for Carbonite lately. Is that what you mean? I had been looking at it recently anyway. The ad got me two free months of service so I'm glad it popped up. It certainly did not prevent me from doing anything with my TiVos. I thought it was very unobtrusive.

11. Oct 19, 2013 #11 of 274
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    I usually don't mind them but the pause ad for Carbonite is definitely distracting. First the box is rather large. Second it pops up repeatedly. I have always used pause and then play for resume to avoid the jump back feature. As a result I can see it many times in an episode. I have probably seen the same popup close to 30 times today while I was skipping through shows.

It would be better if it only popped up say every 10 minutes, because at this point it doesn't make me want to do business with Carbonite. It is similar to the pop up ads they are dealing with on one of the other sites I frequent. It turns me off to the company advertising because they are so obtrusive.

12. Oct 19, 2013 #12 of 274
    Devx

Devx New Member

Jun 1, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    So several have posted about the Carbonite ad reappearing during the same show. When I dismiss the ad it goes away and it doesn't reappear again during the same show. Is there a time delay before it appears again or is it consistently showing up and I missed something? I don't use SPSPS.

I do agree however it's much larger than I remember on the Premiere HDUI(which I've switched to SDUI).

Another benefit of early adoption on the newest Tivo platform is realizing how "clean" the interface can be. Remember a few weeks ago when there were almost no ads, and then a few more weeks back where there were even fewer ads? :)

13. Oct 20, 2013 #13 of 274
    a80099

a80099 New Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Agreed... adding more and more adds/pops ups is not what I pay extra for in a service. Tivo is not exactly a cheap solution to begin with, but now I feel like its a free service where I have to put up with pop ups and more adds (exactly opposite of one of the reason I use Tivo.. SKIP THE ADDS). Ugh.. Nothing like treating paying customers like free moochers.

I had this gripe from Comcast too and pop ups on their guide. Be one thing if it stopped/could be stopped or wasn't so intrusive. But it does not. Just keeps happening and its the same add (Carbonite). I don't want it. never will. Let me make go away. It is annoying. I get the add people paid you for this.. BUT I paid you too to get this service.

SHADY TIVO, SHADY.

* Sad really, my first post here with my new Roamio service (bought early Sep) and its about this. I really like many things about it.. Love even... But the adds are... well.. frustrating.

14. Oct 20, 2013 #14 of 274
    HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    A giant step in the wrong direction. Like fingernails on a blackboard every time the Carbonite appears.

15. Oct 20, 2013 #15 of 274
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I see no issues. Like other services they sell ads to bring in money since what they charge people does not cover everything. People already complain about how TiVo costs too much. If they charged enough to break even it would cost even more. So I have no problems with the ads. If they were obtrusive or stopped me from using my TiVos I would have a problem with it, but so far the pop up ads have not done anything to hinder my use of my TiVos. And the ads have saved me money.

16. Oct 20, 2013 #16 of 274
    NJguy

NJguy New Member

Sep 10, 2013
    I understand where you are coming from but disagree. The advertising dollars they are making from Carbonite are not going to be enough to, lets say, keep the monthly cost from being a $1 more or a lifetime subscription from being $30 more or them charging $30 more per box, etc, etc. Of course, I do not know what they are getting for the Ads but knowing the business I'm fairly certain it would not make a dent.

Now I don't mind seeing an ad when I go to Tivo Central. There's a bunch of blank space to the right under the "My Shows" tab and even when you're in "My Shows" you can probably put an add or two up top (where they put Carbonite ad now) and to the right under the shows you have recorded.

I think it's wrong to put it on a pause screen and is not in good taste for all the reasons listed in other posts. I don't pay a premium for an iPad for ads. If I want ads I'll get a Kindle....and if I don't want ads on that I'll pay the $30 extra to eliminate them. Tivo is a premium device and should not include ads IMO.

17. Oct 20, 2013 #17 of 274
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Active Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Tivo has never reported ad revenue because it's never materially added to their bottom line. They're selling our annoyed eyeballs for a pittance.

I don't mind the Discover bar ads. I tolerate the ads at the bottom of Tivo Central. But the re-occurring oversized pause ad that doesn't stay gone is ridiculous.

Tivo won't do anything based on our word alone, but maybe we should start telling Carbonite (and future advertisers) that the pause ad is too obtrusive and it's hurting their brand.

18. Oct 20, 2013 #18 of 274
    a80099

a80099 New Member

Oct 13, 2013
    I agree.. dont mind "some".. such as the one on Tivo central.. Why is it starred? I really dislike the pop up the is slow to pop up and changes the screen while I am trying to navigate it and read.

If I pause, NO.. Really.. I am not pausing to get the add that I have seen over and over again and ignored cause in the middle of my show is when I wanna buy a computer service.

The adds are to many places, to intrusive and since its seems to be the SAME one over and over.. useless...

"annoyed eyeballs" PERFECT.

19. Oct 20, 2013 #19 of 274
    CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    I don't like the ads either, and I agree that they are not adding much money to TiVo's bottom line.

But we're no longer the target audience for the ads. The target audience is the cable company execs looking to see how adopting TiVo for their cable company can add to their bottom line. We stand-aloners have proven that we're not willing to pay enough to keep TiVo a viable company. I imagine cable companies are quite interested in opportunities to push targeted advertising for their Pay-Per-View and other specials, for instance.

20. Oct 20, 2013 #20 of 274
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    If that's the case then don't target standalone units with the ads then, plain and simple.

If it gets much more intrusive than it already is then a "premium" service fee to opt out of ads may be the next step...