1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll for TiVo's next line of DVRs

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by buscuitboy, Apr 24, 2013.

What will Tivo's next line of DVRs be like

Poll closed Mar 17, 2014.
  1. updated 4-tuner cable only model

10 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. 6-tuner digital cable only model

61 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. 6-tuner hybrid DVR (cable & OTA support)

33 vote(s)
    24.6%
  4. 4-tuner DVR (cable & OTA support)

27 vote(s)
    20.1%
  5. 7 (or more) tuners of some kind

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    Just wondering what you think TiVo's next line of DVRs will be like

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I picked the dual 4 tuner OTA/Cable option but I also think there will be a new 6 tuner cable only model.

3. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    First and foremost they will use a better chip, so the UI and all apps should be a lot faster. You can already see this in action if you use a Mini, which has a better chip then the current Premiere units. The new units will likely use the companion chip to the one in the Mini, which is actually even faster then what's in the Mini.

It's likely that the base model will have a minimum of 4 tuners and that we'll see a 6 tuner option as well.

We might see built in TiVo Stream capabilities. The chip TiVo is likely to use has the ability to trascode two streams to H.264 on the fly. Since the box will be digital only (i.e. no analog to transcode) they should be able to leverage the transcoding capabilities to offer TiVo Stream capabilities internally.

All future TiVos will have MoCa built in.

They are also working on a new remote. The main feature seems to be a locator option that will allow you to press a button on the TiVo itself that will cause the remote to beep so you can find it. They might also convert to BT to eliminate line of sight issues.

Beyond that I don't expect it to be much different. It will likely use the same software as the current Premiere units. Although the faster chip could entice 3rd party developers to offer their services on the new TiVo. Services like Amazon Prime, VUDU and HBOGo all have AdobeAir apps that run on Samsung smart TVs. However the current TiVo platform does not meet the minimum system requirements for AdobeAir so these services could be holding back because they believe the current platform causes a poor user experience. The new platform would eliminate that and could attract more developers/services. Although these services could also be holding back because of business issues we're unaware of, so no telling for sure.

4. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I replied before there was a poll. :eek:

Just FYI 7 or more tuners is not currently possible. The CableCARD spec currently only allows for 6 tuners max. There is a Cisco CableCARD out there that can do 8 channels, but they're not actually being used anywhere in the field.

Also we know from their FCC filing that they are planning a 4 tuner OTA/Cable unit. We also have it on pretty good inside info that there is a 6 tuner cable only unit coming as well. A 6 tuner OTA/cable unit is unlikely.

5. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I picked the 6-tuner digital cable only model option but I also think there will be a new 4 tuner OTA/Cable model.

6. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Active Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Just a repeat of what others have said.

6 tuner cable only and a 4 tuner OTA/Cable though unclear how many tuners OTA will offer. I don't see TiVo deviating from the matched number of tuners otherwise we might see a 4/2 Cable/OTA with a total of 4 at anytime.

I think pricing will remain around the same as the launch prices.

6 tuner XL model which hopefully has 3TB for $499.
    6 tuner 2TB model for $399.
    4 tuner with OTA XL model for $399.
    4 Tuner with OTA model for $299.

I could see them making a shift again to the 1TB drive from 500gb for the base if there is demand from the cable partners for larger than 500GB especially with stuff like the Verizon server coming out with 1TB.

One thing that could drive the prices lower though is if they choose to drop the 2 tuner model so all models support the Mini. I can't see them wanting their cheapest model to cost $299. I suppose they could offer a new 2 tuner if the cable companies still want one which would return at the $149 price with 500gb unless they shift up to the 1TB drive. I don't see an XL model for the 2 tuner.

One other scenario is they offer the Premiere 4 without OTA for $199. This would probably make more sense since they don't need OTA for the cable company models so they would already be manufacturing this model.

7. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    Yea, I am sort of aware of this, but was thinking that by the time a new line hits the market (probably at least the fall....if not later), there might then be some new developments on the cable card industry that could be adopted into a new TiVo. Just a thought.

I'd LOVE to see some sort of OTA support, but I'm still skeptical on that no matter what kind of "filing" they have done.

8. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    My guess is whatever Dish and DirecTV have had for the last 2 years.:eek:

9. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    If you read the filing you wouldn't be so skeptical. They specifically state that at least one of these new devices will have OTA support. There was no mention of the number of tuners but they also had a survey recently which asked users about whether they would be interested in a 4 tuner unit with OTA. That coupled with the fact that the Mini specifically states that it only works with units with 4 or more tuners seems to indicate that the next generation TiVo will include a 4 tuner box with OTA support.

Now I guess it's possible they could scrap the OTA support if they don't like the cost/benefit analysis, but all current indications point to them releasing a new box with OTA support.

10. mcf57

mcf57 Member

Oct 19, 2012
    PA
    While probably HIGHLY unlikely, I would love to see the next TiVo have both a 6 tuner digital cable mode AND a dual tuner OTA option all in one box. Hence the reason I voted for 7 (or more). I know, a fat chance of this, but one can simply dream can't they :)

11. Bigg

Bigg On the fence to being a cord-cutter.

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Yup. Probably a 4-tuner box with 2 2-tuner chips in it. It's a much smaller market, but one that no one else serves, so it would be stupid to abandon.

12. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    When I originally made the poll, I wasn't really thinking this angle (& more a straight 7+ digital tuner), but I guess this could be another way to look at it. Probably still very unlikely to have a 6-tuner digital cable AND 2-tuner OTA in one box, but I would agree that this would be a nice one if they did come out with it. I personally would buy a box like this for not only the OTA option, but also to have more cable tuners available for one or more TiVO minis in a system.

I am also REALLY hoping that by the time they come out with their next line of boxes, they have worked out the dynamic tuning option of the TiVo mini. The total hijack of a tuner from a Premiere is really the thing that is preventing me personally from getting one.

13. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    If you put a Mini on a TV that you do not need to watch live TV much you do not have to give up a tuner, you can still watch live TV by starting a recording of the channel you want to watch live.

14. sneagle

sneagle Addicted Member TCF Club

Jun 11, 2002
    New York area
    No idea. What I want though...

- faster
    - built in stream feature
    - Bluetooth remote the works
    - big hard drives
    - built in MOCA
    - at least 4 tuners

15. mr_smits

mr_smits New Member

Dec 17, 2009
    I recently went OTA, but if that doesn't work out I may subscribe to cable again in the future. I would like a 4-tuner model Tivo that supports both OTA and cable that will allow me the flexibility to change my mind in the future.

Also looking forward to a model that loads Netflix faster than the 30+ seconds it seems to take now.

16. NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    Let us all remember that the Mini was a Unicorn, and the next DVR box is Bigfoot.

With that being said, if they say the box is coming at the the end of the 4th quarter 2013, I would realistically expect it absolutely no sooner than 2nd quarter 2014, after a minimum of 2 pushbacks.

So let's all stop hoping and specualting about the next box, and just face the fact that what we all use now is going to be exactly what will be using for the next year. Just enjoy your Minis and Streams and quad-tuner boxes and dual-tuner boxes.

Get over it, and get used to it.

All of us were hopped up and hopeful with the Mini for a veeeeeery long time.

All we know for sure is that TiVo filed a "waiver" a few weeks ago. Let's all be realistic, and remember who we are talking about here. It's going to be a while. We have gotten no clues or rumors from them for sure. So let's all hold off on getting everyone excited and having even more threads than we already do about the "next-gen" box.

/end rant

::steps off of soapbox::

17. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    This...

18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Only TiVo knows what percentage of their users are cable vs OTA, but nationally almost 80% of the population subscribes to pay TV service of some kind. And the vast majority of the other 20% are poor families that simply can not afford pay TV and likely wouldn't be able to afford TiVo either. So the potential market for an OTA only TiVo would be very small compared to the potential cable market.

The only way the next gen TiVo is going to have OTA is if they can create a box that can do both cable and OTA symetrically. I believe there is enough of a market for them to include the hardware necessary to do both cable and OTA in a 4 tuner box, but it's likely we'll also see a 6 tuner box that is cable only like the current 4 tuner units, because the market for cable is so much bigger.

19. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    Good advice, maybe you should take it yourself...

20. NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    How is that?