1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Political Animals - Full Season 1 thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Steveknj, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Anyone take a look at this? It's essentially an even more dysfunctional Clintons if that is even possible. But I liked it.

Things I noticed:

The level of raunchiness has reached a new level for USA Network. Lots of S* bombs. Even a line which essentially said something like. Don't talk to me about it while your D**K is in me. I couldn't believe they said that actually. Also female butt nudity....something you don't see on ad supported TV like ever.

I liked the interplay between the former Prez (the Bill Clinton like character) and his ex (now Sec'y of State).

I'm not usually a big Sigourney Weaver fan, but I thought she was really good in this, and she looked better than she has since Aliens. Still something about her face has always creeped me out some.

2. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    Yeah I really enjoyed it.

3. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh.

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Maybe I'll check it out. With my luck they'll start man butt nudity month.

4. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Just be warned. If you blink you might miss it :D

5. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    We liked it but I really don't like her ex-husband at all. Not "I don't like his character" - more like "that actor creeps me out and I don't want to see him any more".

Nice to see the actor who plays the youngest son stretching his repertoire from "gay son of the king" (Kings) to "gay son of the president". :)

6. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    I agree. I found his ookiness distracting. I actually asked my husband if the actor really looked that way or if they had added latex prosthetics and caked on makeup to get him to look like that. :eek:

7. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    He reminds me of the actor who played Maurice Minnefield on Northern Exposure.

8. scooterboy

scooterboy Coney Island Small

Mar 27, 2001
    East...
    Me too, but with a few missing chromosomes.

Maurice's mutant twin brother. :)

9. RGM1138

RGM1138 I wanna Rock

Oct 6, 1999
    Gulfport, MS
    I was shocked a few times, especially when seeing female butt. (Well, pleasantly surprised, actually). But, I had to check the station bug a couple times to make sure I wasn't watchinig HBO. :)

10. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    :up: Perfect description.

11. obixman

obixman Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Houston
    The ex-husband (Bud Hammond) is played by Ciaran Hinds, an actor of some note - perhaps the best one in the cast.

He does a pretty good Southernish acent - considering he's from Northern Ireland. He was in John Carter (for the one other person who saw it...) and was Julius Caesar in "Rome" .

I respect actors who play characters who are difficult to like - and certainly Bud Hammond is not likeable.

12. Beryl

Beryl Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Texas
    I'm watching this. I'm glad it is a miniseries as I can't see it lasting more than one season.

13. tiams

tiams New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    I found myself very caught up in it. I could see several seasons resulting from her campaign and then her presidency.

14. brebeans

brebeans New Member

Sep 5, 2003
    I really liked it....thought Sigourney Weaver was terrific and there are several really good story lines going on.

I agree with other posts that the former Prez/ex-husband creeps me out and is not likeable, so that's a bit distracting...We'll see what happens.

As a friend of mine observed, he thought it was "a cross between Dynasty and West Wing"! :)

15. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Totally agree. He just doesn't look comfortable in his own skin or something. Maybe it's just that he seemed to be overacting the part. Or maybe it was the neck rolls sticking up out of his shirt collar. Or who knows. But he certainly was my least favorite part about the show.
    Don't forget the Mad Hatter!

Overall, I liked the show a lot and am interested to see where it goes, despite my dislike of the way Bud Hammond was played. It's always good to have Carla Gugino on my screen.

Also, it should be noted that the ratings for this were horrible by USA standards. The pilot is being rerun multiple times and is being offered for free on iTunes and Amazon, so hopefully more people will find the show this week and the ratings for Ep. 2 will go up. But that seems unlikely.

16. Jesda

Jesda CAPTAIN AWESOME

Feb 12, 2005
    DETROIT!
    Great cast. However, the protagonist is far too perfect and polished for me to care about her.

17. marrone

marrone Phased Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Melbourne, FL
    I liked the show. I generally do like the political type shows (West Wing, Commander In Chief (which I was disappointed didn't stick around)). But the raunchiness did get a bit annoying. It seemed almost forced. They should do away with it.

-Mike

18. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    For anybody else, like me, who just now caught on to this show -

There is a re-airing of S01 E01 tonight (USA). Then E02 airs this Sunday, and so forth.

19. speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina
    I think what was creepy about Bud was his really bad attempt to do a southern accent. I knew he was British (Irish) and knew that was part of the problem, but I think they could've cast someone who was actually southern in the role and he wouldn't have seemed so fake.

Carla Gugino looked SO much younger on this than she did in recent roles on Justified and Californication. I almost didn't realize it was her in the first scene with Elaine.

I thought Sigourney Weaver was very good in her role. As my husband said, too bad Hillary isn't as good in hers. :)

20. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And Bucky Barnes!

Which will probably become a bigger deal than it is already, since they just announced the second Captain America movie is called "Winter Soldier."