1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pointers to FCC mandates re: cablecards

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by HiKent, Dec 7, 2006.

1. HiKent

HiKent New Member

Nov 2, 2006

Does anyone have pointers to the actual FCC mandates on cablecards? I'm dissatisified with my local TWC's pricing policies and would like to take it up with the franchising authority, and being able to refer to the actual regulations would help make better arguments.

Here in Hawaii, the digital service and cable box are bundled into one price ($8/mo). Two cablecards means two "duplicated service (with addressable box)" charges *plus* two cablecard rentals (at $3.10).

Also, the HD programming package is bundled with HD box (at $6.95/mo), so "upgrading" the cable cards is an charge *per cablecard* per month.

Of course, the TWC provided DVR doesn't have the second outlet fee nor second HD fee.

I would love to have pointers to FCC mandates to:

1) Unbundle pricing for box and service.

2) Require cablecard devices be provided same service at price no greater than similar service provided by cable company.

I asked TiVo to help with cable company discussion, but learned TiVo only steps in when the cablecompany says no, not with they grossly overcharge.

2. dt_dc

dt_dc Mostly Harmless

Jul 31, 2003