1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Breaking News - The sale is back... "Our “once in a lifetime” PLS promotion was such a hit, that we’ve decided to launch it again! The PLS Transfer Sale will be available again for the last 3 days of the month. This will include the BOLT+ 3TB, and 4 refurb units (BOLT 500GB, BOLT 1T, Roamio Pro and the TiVo Mini)." https://www.tivo.com/secondchancelifetimesale#/secondchancelifetimesale

POE placement

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jntc, Jan 2, 2014.

1. jntc

jntc Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Doe's this look right as to how the POE should be set? (Cable modem leg is only supporting the cable modem, nothing else)

[​IMG]

2. supasta

supasta New Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
  3. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    The MoCA network would function properly for what's illustrated, and may actual perform a little better than putting it before the splitter since you've eliminated a device and cabling length from the domain of the MoCA signal.

4. jntc

jntc Member

Dec 5, 2013
    I was told by Comcast to put it after the cable modem to eliminate any potential issues. The only thing on that leg is the cable modem.

Thanks!

5. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I have Comcast and tested out my POE on the input of my modem, no speed change so I have my POE filter on the incoming cable, then to a 8 way (and two way) amp with the modem connected to one of the amps outputs and I have no MoCA problems with all Xmit/Rec MoCA readings above 240. (I have Comcast blast speed and on the test I still hit about 100 for a few seconds with an average of about 75Mb/s for download speed)

6. jntc

jntc Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Would there be any reason to have it in front of the cable modem? Also, do the amps help you at all? I get around 280/295 on my Moca readings.

In the last two days I've been plagued with v52 and v53 errors -only- on my mini's, not on the roamio, and it can even be on the same channel. ( This is in addition to my constant v58 errors on everything )

I'm so trying to give this a chance, but my family has just about had it with the errors.

7. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    The cable amp has nothing to do with MoCA, just to get a good cable signal to all parts of my home, if your MoCA reading are as high you reported for all connected TiVos/Mini (check each MoCA TiVo & Mini) then I don't know what going on with your Minis. Tell us what you have connected to the MoCA system, and where the internet connection to MoCA is made.

8. jntc

jntc Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Well, it may not be necessary, as I'm returning all my Tivo devices today. The service has not been acceptable, and Tivo is unwilling to work with my on the 30 day money back guarantee by extending it to work through these problems.

My moca is generated by the roamio. I only have the roamio and three mini's on the moca network, and each device is fed with a homerun from the 6-way splitter. I have terminators on the other two outs of the 6-way. My signals are 'perfect' according to Tivo support, but I still get the following problems consistently:

V58 errors - all the time - where one mini will show v58, and other's on the same channel are fine.

V52/53 errors - frequently - same as above, working on other devices at same time

Audio and Video 'stutters' on many channels on Mini's - however, we 'rewinding' and playing again, the 'stutters' are not there, it works fine. ONLY during live TV. (The recorded stream is fine)

I've tried everything, and nothing is stopping these problems.

The only thing that they are pointing to now, is bad firmware on the cablecard, and of course, Comcast is of no help there.

So, unfortunately, it's back to crappy 1990's technology cable company DVR's - however, I'll have a happy family back. They are seriously upset with me and my month long Tivo 'experiment'

Best of luck to all of you!

9. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Maybe your home has the dreaded MoCA Gremlin, sorry for you problems.