1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POE Filter outside the house?

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by hgarber, Jan 28, 2014.

1. hgarber

hgarber New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Previous house owner had the cable company split the main coax line outside the house.... and from the splitter, multiple coax cables are traving along the outside of the house separately before coming inside in different places.

Assuming I need to put the MoCA POE Filter before that first splitter outside the house to ensure that i don't cut off any parts of the house from the MoCA signal.

My question is: Is the MoCA POE Filter built to be outside in cold/rain/snow? Will keeping it outside damage it?

Thanks for your feedback!

2. lessd

lessd Active Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I would move the cables inside as your splitter must be at least 1Ghz to work with MoCA.
    I think you can get outside rubber booted POS filters.

3. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Too bad there aren't really any POS filters to protect us from buying stuff that should never have made it past QC (or in some cases gotten of the drawing board).

:D

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Is the outside splitter in a box? If so the POE filter should be fine. If not you could always wrap it in some electrical tape or duct tape to protect it from the weather.

You want the POE filter before the first splitter to prevent cutting off the signal to rooms in your house.

5. hgarber

hgarber New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately the splitter isn't in any type of protective box or covering. I do like the suggestion to wrap the POE Filter in duct/electrical tape to help protect it from the weather.

I know that it should all probably be on the inside of the house. but I'm definitely not looking to create a project out of this. I simply want my TiVo Mini to work via MoCA! The longer I'm in my house, the more i find myself wondering what the previous owners were thinking!

6. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I've never seen a POE filter that isn't suitable for outdoor installation.

For example:
    http://www.pctstore.com/MoCA_Filter_Ethernet_to_coaxial_p/pctlpf1002.htm
    http://www.soontai.com/MoCA-LPF-M3.html
    http://www.soontai.com/MoCA-POE-h.htm
    http://www.eaglecomtronics.com/pdfs/EZLP Series - MoCA Point of Entry Filter .pdf

OK, I found one:

http://www.hollandelectronics.com/pdf/MoCA-Series-Filters-1.6.pdf

The first of the 3 on that sheet -- notice how it's not a single piece but instead has a turnable nut on one side -- avoid that style, or wrap it in that gooey stuff to waterproof it (http://coaxseal.com/products/ or similar products like duct seal or a sealer that is used where A/C pipes enter the house)

7. hgarber

hgarber New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Thank you!

I bought the POE filter from TiVo when i bought the Mini...... Can you take a quick look at that one and let me know what you think? -- https://www.tivo.com/shop/detail/moca-poe

8. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I can't tell from the photo; if you have it already, or when you get it, just check if the hex-style nut end twirls separately from the body of the filter. If it does, I'd say it'd be safer to wrap it with a bit of the coax seal or similar stuff. If it's all a single piece of metal, then it won't be a problem outside.

9. webcrawlr

webcrawlr New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    The filters TiVo sell are one solid piece.

10. rucheridee

rucheridee New Member

Dec 21, 2010
    I have a POE filter bought from tivo.com. I had 2 cable techs at the house this past month & neither mentioned it would be an issue to have outside. The first tech was even extremely careful & he "tested" the POE filter before installing it.

It's snowed twice & rained hard once since I've had the filter installed. I guess it's still too soon to tell though (~2 weeks), but no issues yet. Unfortunately I don't have a cable box outside for protection either.

11. hgarber

hgarber New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Fantastic.... Thank you for sharing!

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah it's not going to die from a little rain/snow, but it may reduce it's total lifespan and could slowly degrade your signal. I'd still cover it in something just to be safe, or be prepared to replace them every few years.

13. ellinj

ellinj Seems Very Friendly TCF Club

Feb 26, 2002
    RI
    why not just get an outdoor electrical box. you are disconnecting everything to connect the filter, should be easy enough to route it into a box.

14. kherr

kherr Member

Aug 1, 2006
    When in doubt, put some rubber tape on it first.

15. Bigg

Bigg Active Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    BS.. mine is going through a bunch of random splitters I had lying around... they're all 860mhz I think, and I have no POE filter to top it all off.

The filter will be fine outside. They are made to go outside, and are often installed out there...

16. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    Anyone have another online link for POE filters. 9$ from tivo isn't bad, but 9$ PLUS 9$ shipping IS bad.

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I bought mine on eBay. It was $8 with free shipping.

18. tivoboy

tivoboy Member

Jan 14, 2002
    SFO
    good call, are they all pretty much the "same"?

19. phipsi1237

phipsi1237 New Member

Feb 26, 2006
    North Las...
    My understanding is that the POE filter is to keep the signal from going outside your cabling. Therefore, it's correct that it needs to be before the main splitter. Otherwise, it would defeat the purpose.

20. nooneuknow

nooneuknow TiVo User Since 2007

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    I'm calling out this BS, as well as calling out that not using a POE filter can cause issues with service to your neighbors, regardless of how things are working for you.

Great, an unsupported configuration (in several contexts), that just begs for causing trouble (like some people who post here), works for you. A true meaning to being a 1%er.

I get a great price (free) by asking Cox techs I spot in the area, or who are out on a ticket of my own, for some various splitters they can spare.

860Mhz splitters, from any brand or any source (even the old ones Cox used to use), won't even work for basic digital cable TV service for me, in my Cox market, and any internet access at all is out-of-the-question.

1. The ONLY way a cableco wouldn't object to those splitters, if if they are in the stone age (analog-only, or early-gen basic digital). If they install PoE filters outside, unprotected from the elements, that also points to stone-age. Many items commonly installed on poles, or in sidewalk boxes, are still exposed to the elements, and require rubber boots in such cases (check with the manufacturer to see if rubber boots are required as part of the "indoor/outdoor" specifications).

2. If a cableco rolls a truck for any issue, and the customer is using splitters not up to their ratings/specifications/requirements, it could become a billable incident, since the customer (customer's equipment) is not acceptable. If they recognize the brand as one they used to use, they may just happily replace them, without charge.

I don't know how good, or bad, all the cable markets are, but mine would replace every non-spec splitter, and (at minimum) note the problem was caused by said splitters, or the customer (regardless of what/who was the cause).

This post is a courtesy, to protect people who may not know better, and mistakenly interpret your post as a blessing for 860Mhz splitters (or any other under-spec equipment), as something that will work for everybody, everywhere, at any time.

You have a right to disagree with me. But, I have said all I feel needs to be said, and don't have any obligation to say anything further. [/end of discussion, with you] [not engaging in a debate]