1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PLUS wireless networking is driving me insane

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by estrader, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Nov 1, 2013 #1 of 25
    estrader

estrader New Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Please i need help. i am about to toss this device out the window. I cant get this thing to stay connected to the Tivo service. the wireless keeps losing connections. I am running this DVR with a simple Dlink DIR615 router. all my other wireless devices work flawlessly on this network.

installed dvr and connected. worked beautifully for 2 days. then stopped connection and got N02

first call to tech support: they told me to reboot router and dvr. service connected

second call to tech support the next day: they told me my dvr was DOA and to return to best buy. said the wireless network car inside the dvr was defective.

exchanged device and installed a new unit from best buy. worked for one day.

got No2 again this morning, called it in and they told me my ROUTER WAS DEFECTED.

this is complete BS. told me to unplug the device. spent hours trying force connected to tivo service.

Basically the most sophisticated solution they could give me was to unplug the device.

any problem i have unplug the device. i have had this dvr for 7 days now and ive been unplugging it several times a day ever since the day i got it. is this a normal part of the tivo experience?

please help.

2. Nov 1, 2013 #2 of 25
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I'm shocked TiVo even decided to enable and support built in WiFi. From most accounts and since there is no external antenna in the Roamio and a big box shield around it, the reception is pretty lousy. What are the signal levels reported by TiVo network screens? I would highly recommend you pursue MoCA as an alternative to wireless, especially since your Roamio Plus has built in MoCA. All you would need is a MoCA adapter to connect to your router.

3. Nov 1, 2013 #3 of 25
    estrader

estrader New Member

Nov 1, 2013
    im getting from 55-63% signal strength reported by TIVO.

where can i get a MOCA adapter. i have Time warner. is this extra charge for them to come out and install this?

or something i can do on my own?

4. Nov 1, 2013 #4 of 25
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
  5. Nov 1, 2013 #5 of 25
    estrader

estrader New Member

Nov 1, 2013
    how about if i just plug my ethernet cable into it directly?

6. Nov 1, 2013 #6 of 25
    moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Well yes that is a better option. But if that is an option why are using wireless in the 1st place? Wired is always better than wireless.

NOTE: TiVo didn't supply a way to turn wireless off. The only way I've found to effectively disable it once turned on is to go through wireless setup and provide a wrong password such that the wireless connection fails. So if you do go wired you probably need to do something similar to disable wireless.

7. Nov 1, 2013 #7 of 25
    estrader

estrader New Member

Nov 1, 2013
    i wasnt in the mood to pull the carpet up in the hallway and run cable underneath it. now it looks likei have to .

so when i go go wired, cant i just change network settings to "ethernet" and it will be all good? what are the issues if wireless stays on? it will keep throwing errors even thought connected with wired?

8. Nov 1, 2013 #8 of 25
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    When you set the TiVo to Ethernet wifi is turned off automatically, so no worried there.

9. Nov 1, 2013 #9 of 25
    tivogurl

tivogurl New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Is this a case where the Basic is better? It's encased in plastic, not a big box 'o metal.

10. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    That's not what I saw when I tried WiFi. It still showed up as a wireless client in my router after connecting ethernet and wouldn't go away until I had to resort to setting up wireless with wrong password. But that was with 20.3.6 software, haven't tried it recently.

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    When I was playing with the settings I didn't see any option for Ethernet + Wifi so I just assumed that switching would turn off the Wifi. I've never actually tried wifi on my Roamio.

12. senorgregster

senorgregster Member

Nov 12, 2005
    I'm interested to hear how this works out for you. I was getting flaky wireless so tried direct wired (very long cable) to test that out. The Roamio didn't like that at all and lost connection every 30 seconds or so. I moved the Roamio nearer the wireless router (wrong TV - was just testing) and it behaved better. So I decided to go the MoCA route. The Roamio still lost connection every 30 seconds or so. My MoCA set up is the FiOS router x2 so I enabled wireless on the 2nd as well (different channel, same SSID and key as the main router). Now I get 100% signal (the router antennae is touching the Roamio - lol) and a really nice whole house wireless set up for all devices but a bit of a hassle to get this working well. Can't stream directly from the other Roamio, I have to transfer and wait a few minutes. Oh well. Good luck!

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Sounds like you have the same problem as moyekj where wifi is not being turned off even though you select MoCa or Ethernet. Try setting a bad password on wifi and then enabling MoCa and see if that fixes the problem.

FYI you can use multi-room streaming or iPad streaming capabilities if the TiVo is connected via wifi.

14. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    I think you meant:
    FYI you cannot use multi-room streaming or iPad streaming capabilities if the TiVo is connected via wifi.

Yes, it's pretty stupid there is no "off" setting for WiFi. Having it enabled along with ethernet or MoCA may be causing packet collisions and leading to problems but I'm not exactly sure how TiVo has configured things so it may be OK. Personally I want to make sure it doesn't use WiFi for anything though if I'm wired.

15. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What I do is set the Gateway and DNS to my router's IP address.

16. senorgregster

senorgregster Member

Nov 12, 2005
    I'll give that a go. Thanks.

17. Diacritical

Diacritical Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Brooklyn...
    I don't know about the multiroom streaming, but streaming to my iPad, even remote, works fine with the Roamio connected via WiFi. And I am getting a 100% WiFi signal.

18. pautler

pautler Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Wired connections are always better (faster, more reliable, etc) than wireless connections. The only reasons to use wireless is if you are using a mobile device that can't be tethered, or it is just simply not possible to run a wire to your device (due to building construction, cost, etc).

With regards to wireless, it is 'best practice' to enable some security settings on your home WiFi network, such as:
    - turn off SSID broadcast (requires clients to know the SSID)
    - enable WPA or WEP (requires clients to have a key)
    - mac address filtering (only pre-registered clients can connect)

If you use some/any/all of those then you don't have to worry about your TiVo (or any other devices, including your neighbor's, LOL!) automatically appearing as clients on your wireless network.

-Joe

19. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    I'll agree that wired connections are always preferable to wireless -- only use WiFi when there's no way to use wired. I often suggest that folks that can't or don't want to run an Ethernet drop hire an electrician to do so -- it's not that expensive.

On the other comments:

1) turning off SSID does not increase security at all.
    2) never use WEP (it's easy to crack). Always use WPA.
    3) using MAC address filtering does not increase security at all.

WPA, plus a strong password, is all one needs to practice good WiFi security.

20. ggieseke

ggieseke Active Member

May 30, 2008
    The network antenna wires on my Pro run through holes in the metal chassis and end up behind the front plastic cover. I haven't actually tried it since it's already on ethernet but I wouldn't expect any signal problems.