1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plus/Pro owners, would you buy add-on OTA tuner?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Dan203, Apr 1, 2014.

Would you buy an external OTA tuner?

1. Yes

69 vote(s)
  2. Maybe, depends on price

41 vote(s)
  3. No, I don't need it

55 vote(s)
  1. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    If TiVo offered an external OTA tuner for the Roamio that allowed you to record both cable and OTA at the same time would you buy one? If so would it have to have 6 tuners? Or would 2-4 tuners be OK? And would you prefer it to be network based, like an HDHomeRun, or USB connected directly to the TiVo? What would you expect something like this to cost?

Personally I would love something like this, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one.
  2. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Sounds like your describing the regular Roamio, doesn't it do both OTA and cable?
    I bought the Pro cause I'm I Vz/cable junkie, not interested in OTA and if I am I would just use my Premiere.

So for me I guess the answer is no, I would not be interested.
  3. jwbelcher

jwbelcher New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I absolutely would. One day I will cut the cord and would prefer my Pro not to become a paperweight.
  4. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Active Member

May 6, 2002
    Base Roamio must be setup for either OTA or cable. It cannot do both at the same like a Series 3 or 2-tuner Premiere.
  5. astrohip

astrohip Active Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I would buy it in a heartbeat. Even though I have cable, I like the backup ability of OTA.
  6. midas

midas I heard that

Jun 1, 2000
    Yes, I would buy it. When I was with DirecTV I actually owned two of their OTA add-ons (AM21). But yes, it would have to have the capabilities for all 6 tuners to work. I'd do the same thing I did before and move all the season passes I could to OTA. In most cases the picture quality OTA is superior.
  7. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    For me I wouldn't really need all 6 tuners. An asymmetrical system where I only had 2 OTA tuners but 6 cable tuners (but could only record from a combination of 6 at a time regardless) would be fine. The only reason I need OTA at all is because there is one channel in my area that broadcasts in HD via OTA but is only available on cable as SD. (not sure why) So I have to use a HDHomeRun to record that channel and then manually copy the shows over to my TiVo. It's a bit of a PITA and I'd much rather just record that channel directly on my TiVo instead.

I doubt TiVo will actually ever do this, but a guy can hope. :)
  8. jcthorne

jcthorne Active Member

Jan 28, 2002
    I am not a Plus or Pro owner but I voted yes anyway. If this was available, I likely would have considered a Plus or Pro rather than the basic model.
  9. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Dan, I am OTA only so I didn't answer your poll, but would love to see TiVo add a network attached OTA tuner like an HDHomeRun that could be accessed/used by any Premiere, Roamio, Mini, and any phone, tablet or computer running TiVo software/apps, including out of the home remote access.

I would also love to see TiVo provide access to Dish Network and Direct TV via the same type of network attached Satellite tuner and think the FCC should mandate such access.
  10. mpaquette

mpaquette New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    South Carolina
    I definitely would purchase it as long as it had a minimum of 4 tuners. Wouldn't matter to me if it were USB or network based. I don't understand why TiVo didn't go with the external add-on OTA tuner in the first place with the Roamio.
  11. andyf

andyf Active Member

Feb 23, 2000
    I voted no, don't need it. Use cable exclusively unless it goes out, in which case I have an antenna plugged into the TV, in those times I need some kind of TV to watch.
  12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    I voted no because I have a Roamio Basic dedicated to OTA. My Roamio Pro is used with FiOS and it already uses all six tuners concurrently at some point almost every day. So I would rather keep OTA separate. Plus I like having a second box as a backup. If something happens to my Roamio PRo, at least I have the option of using my Roamio Basic with OTA or moving the cable card to it so I can at least have four tuners to record from FiOS if I have to.
  13. aristoBrat

aristoBrat New Member

Dec 30, 2002
    Va Beach, VA
    Same thought here.
  14. NashvilleKat

NashvilleKat Retired Old Fart

Dec 24, 2013
    Absolutely, unless the cost was unreasonable.
  15. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    And it is crappy plastic case, non-standard component size, has no built-in Stream, and lacks some other stuff I can't remember right now.

Having an optional OTA tuner for the Standard/Pro is actually a great idea. And if reasonably priced, I would certainly buy it... because OTA is a MUCH better picture than Cox cable, and probably MOST cable companies. It is a great backup if your cable fails. And it also keeps your expensive TiVo from being a brick if you suddenly decide you want to ditch cable.

Unfortunately, I seriously doubt it would ever happen.
  16. davidjplatt

davidjplatt New Member

Aug 27, 2003
    Herndon, VA
    I would consider it depending on cost, number of OTA tuners. If it added two OTA tuners and blockee two cable card tuners all the time, probably not. If it preempted a cable tuner when the OTA was in use I would probably buy one.

Of course it would depend on cost. I wouldn't spend $200 on an OTA tuner. I would continue to use my HD HomeRun OTA tuners on a PC for OTA.
  17. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Are you serious?

I'm curious..........How much TV do you watch in a typical day if your DVR is recording 6 shows at some poit everydaY/
  18. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    I assume it would work like the old S2DT units where it would just have asymmetrical scheduling. You could still only record 6 shows at once but using any combination of the tuners available.
  19. nooneuknow

nooneuknow TiVo User Since 2007

Feb 5, 2011
    Cox Cable...
    You are not alone, Dan203.

I hate that I had to get three Roamio base models. I'd much rather have the design and features of the 6-tuner models.

It's very possible that cord-cutting may be a part of my future, or it just may be too expensive to keep cable in the future, depending on how things go.

There was no way I was going to buy 6-tuner models, pay for LTS, then possibly not be able to use them for FREE OTA.

Friends and family felt the same way. 6 tuners was nice, but 4 tuners, plus ability to change to OTA, was the clear choice for them.

There's also no way I'm ever buying a Mini, unless TiVo comes out with something extremely different from what it is now, and that doesn't go belly-up without a constant, reliable, real-time internet connection to the real-time TiVo servers (not to mention when those servers have issues).
  20. Thom

Thom Active Member

Jun 5, 2000
    Yes. I didn't buy a Plus or a Pro because they did not offer Over The Air recording. Instead, I bought base Roamios.

I would love to see them put out a software upgrade for Plus/Pro that integrated a Silicondust HD Homerun into the Roamios. Sadly, I don't expect this to ever happen.