1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plug Chromecast into Roamio (basic)?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by marant, Feb 3, 2014.

1. marant

marant New Member

Feb 3, 2014
    I am in the process of cutting the cable (actually satellite) and going to OTA signals. I have a Chromecast which works fine plugged into the TV. I am thinking about getting a Roamio so I can record the OTA signals to watch later. I know that I will be able to record Hulu+, etc shows on the Roamio, but wonder about things from the net that the Roamio does not support with an app.

If I plug the Chromecast into the Roamio will I be able to record signals from the Chromecast? For example, I can watch Fox Sports Go on my tablet now, and would like to be able to send it to the Chromecast, then record it on the Roamio for later viewing.

2. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    You're a little confused on the Roamio's capabilities. There is a Hulu+ app on the Roamio, which you can use to access your Hulu+ account and view shows. You cannot record Hulu+, or any web-delivered content. Despite the fact that plugging the Chromecast into the Tivo most likely won't work at all, even if it did, you could only watch web content, not record it.

A Tivo records Cable or Digital Antenna TV signals only. It can access many other services like Hulu+, Netflix, Youtube, etc, but not record those.

3. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    TiVo's don't even have HDMI in, do they? I can't imagine why one would. There's literally no place to plug in a Chromecast.

And on top of that, I don't even think there's a Fox Sports Go app that supports the Chromecast.

here's the list of Chromecast supporting Apps.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromecast/apps.html

4. marant

marant New Member

Feb 3, 2014
    Looks like I am suffering from a severe case of "never been there, never done that"! I did not realize that the Roamio would not record from the various apps (hulu, netflix, etc.), but then, since they are streaming services, I guess that means I can just watch what I want when I want, without recording?

5. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    Yep, that is what they do.