1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help with TIVO Series 2

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by snafubar, Jan 20, 2013.

1. snafubar

snafubar New Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Hi, I'm trying to connect my series 2 TIVO to an Insight mini box. Everything is going smooth until the screen says select your cable box manufacturer. The bottom of the mini box says "Made for insight by TECHNICOLOR" but they are not listed in my choices to select.
    Please help this noobie if you can.
  2. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...

The TiVo S2 will work with Insight's mini box but yes you will have to set up the IR transmitter that came with the TiVo. However you may want to look into a direct male to male IR cable that is sold on ebay such as this:

I had issues with the TiVo IR transmitter and this cable made the channel changing work 99% of the time instead of 75% of the time. I had missed recordings all the time. The cable made by a user on tivocommunity.com. I cant remember the exact code but you will want to look at the IR codes for the Thompson cable box which ended up working best for me.

You could always upgrade them to a TiVo HD or the new Premiere. They have cable cards instead and wouldnt need this extra box."
  3. snafubar

snafubar New Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'll purchase that cable. I know the S2 is ancient we bought it in 2005 with the lifetime subscription option. We have had Dish for the last 5 years and this unit has been boxed up in the closet since then.
    If I buy a newer unit will my lifetime subscription transfer?
    thanks again,
  4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    No, the lifetime will not transfer. It is locked to the box.