1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing .Tivo File on Surface Pro 2

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by webdelaney, Nov 15, 2013.

1. webdelaney

webdelaney New Member

Nov 15, 2013
    I have the Surface Pro 2. I installed the Tivo Desktop Plus software on my device. When I was at home, I transfered a show from my tivo to my home computer (.tivo format), then transfered that file to a USB drive and then placed that file onto my Surface Pro 2. When I try to play the file with windows media player, or VLC, it gives me an error and wont play it. When I try playing the video through the Desktop Plus software, it gives me same error.

Anyone have any suggestions to play this file? When I try to convert the file, it wont let me. When I right click on the file, it will only let me play or delete the file. The "convert" option is greyed out. I have uninstalled the software and re-installed it as well. Same results.

Thanks for any help or suggestions,

2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    First of .tivo files will not play in VLC, only Windows Media Player. Secondly you must have TiVo Desktop installed on the Surface and the MAK entered correctly for TiVo Desktop to decrypt the files. Last you need to have a MPEG-2 decoder installed on your system for it to play. (Windows 8 does not come with one) TiVo Desktop Plus does come with one, so if you actually paid for the Plus version then it should work. But if you have the free version it will not unless you find and install an MPEG-2 codec. (there are some free ones out there)