1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixelation/noise - SNR - Signal Strength

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by WVZR1, Jul 17, 2013.

1. WVZR1

WVZR1 Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I've had some recent pixelation/noise on both my 2-XL and my 4 - XL with Comcast/Motorola and NO TA. Using CableCard diagnostics I seem to have consistent 30 SNR and 76 or 77 Signal strength and of course I've restarted both machines. I've swapped the home runs at an amp that I use with taps and no splitters.

I use a home run to each location with a tap and a lead to the television direct and the second to the TiVo. Each home run is equal length. I've by-passed the amp and eliminated my modem from the mix and did the TV/TiVo's direct with no change.

My SB6120 displays 36 dB across all four channels and -1 dBV & -2 dBV PowerLevel "down"!

Is it conceivable that a "hit" on the CableCards would help the siuation or do I just need to approach Comcast for a check of the "drop to the house"?

I've never had issues and best I recall my signal strengths on the install when the 4 tuners were released were 90+ at the TiVo's and the televisions.

The connection at the grounding block was done when I did the original install and appears fine.

The issue seems more prevalent on major networks and maybe worse at "prime time" BUT maybe because that's when I watch maybe more frequently.

2. compnurd

compnurd New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    that is a low SNR.... i think 35 is the min

3. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    On my SB6120, the SNR is normally around 36-37, so 35 is in the right ballpark. But I find if the power level gets down to -3 dB, then I start to have problems - it's normally at 2 or 3 dB for me.

My TiVo SNR are normally in the 92 range.

I would say you definitely have a weak signal.

4. WVZR1

WVZR1 Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    Thanks guys!

A "hit" to the cards is time wasted?

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra Cable only

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I think 92 as a SNL might be a signal level. But you are right, SNR of 36-37 on a cable drop is normal for me too. Luckily I can confirm on my TV which has a different drop. The TiVo and SB6120 are on one drop. Everything else is on a different drop. Everything agrees.