1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixelation in Hughes HDVR2

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by direfan, Jul 25, 2008.

1. direfan

direfan Active Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Rockville
    Hi,

I seem to have a lot of pixelation on my HDVR2 that seems to be in Sat 2. When I check signal strength it seems to switch from 92 to 0. I have never changed the HD on this drive before. Do you think there is any point in doing so. It does not seem to be the S-video connection as I am using composite cables.
    Could this have something to do with the new software and if I use Instacake with a new HD, the problem may go away? Thanks a lot.

D

2. unclemoosh

unclemoosh I Wish I knew Then..

Sep 11, 2004
    Gulf South
    What I might do is switch the cables coming in. If the problem moves to Sat 1 I would suspect the lnb or multiswitch, if you have one, or the coax.

If the problem stays on Sat 2, I would try another drive if I had one. But, it may be that you have a problem with the Sat 2 tuner.

3. DevilDogs

DevilDogs Steeler Fan

Dec 29, 2002
    Des Moines,...
  4. direfan

direfan Active Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Rockville
    Could this problem be a result of the new software 6.4a? It seems like there are different solutions for the same problem. With some people switching out the S-video works whereas with others switching the composite works.

5. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    If you are not using s-video cable then this problem could be caused by a multi-switch going bad. Cheap replacements are available on Ebay. I recommend a powered model as all mine that failed were not powered. :)

6. direfan

direfan Active Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Rockville
    Hi,

Actually all my other dvrs are fine. I also have an RCA DVR that does not seem to have the problem. So the multiswitch should be fine, right?

7. unclemoosh

unclemoosh I Wish I knew Then..

Sep 11, 2004
    Gulf South
    No, it just means all the other outputs on the multiswitch are fine. Try swapping out the problem unit to another location. You need to see if the problem is the unit or the input to the unit.

8. DevilDogs

DevilDogs Steeler Fan

Dec 29, 2002
    Des Moines,...
    Did you read the other posts? This is a common problem as the units get older. It has nothing to do with the software. I had the problem on my larger drive with version 6.3e. That drive went bad, so I put my original 3.x version drive in. It also had the problem. Since then, my software has been upgraded to 6.3f, and to 6.4a. The problem remains. Read the posts, it will clear things up for you. There is a company that can repair the unit. The company is called CCS, and from what I've read, the repairs cost about $100. But it is definitely the unit. It isn't software, it isn't a multi-switch, it isn't the dish. If you don't believe me, try these steps:
    1. Swap the input cables. If the problem remains on tuner 2, it isn't cabling or a multi-switch or the dish.
    2. Take it to another room you have DirecTV cables in, and try it.
    3. If you have multiple output cables, unplug all except for one composite cable set.
    My guess is it won't be fixed until you get to 3. If it still remains after doing all 3 steps, then it has progressed to the point where you will either have to put up with it, get a DirecTV DVR, or you'll have to send it in to get it fixed.

9. DataDoc

DataDoc New Member

May 28, 2008
    Greenville, NC
    I have a Hughes HDVR2, with 2 hard disks, 309 hours. I suffered with this problem for months, switching cables, checking connections, seeing if weather or time of day or simultaneous recording had any effect. Local channels were getting worse and worst, with reboots while watching recordings coming more frequent. I read lots of suggestions in these forums, some of which suggested the power supply might be at fault. I Googled around and found this:
    How to Repair a Hughes HDVR2 Tivo Power Supply

I checked with my brother (an ET) and he said it would be easy, even with my crappy 45W soldering iron. I ordered 2 capacitors from Mouser Electronics, and replaced the old one, which had slight bulging as shown in the article, and added a new one. This took about 30 minutes, including using compressed air to clean out two years of dust.

The parts I used are:
    647-UPW1C222MHD

Since doing this repair I haven't had any pixelation (other than weather-related). The only reboots have been for software upgrades or operator initiated.

I hope this is helpful.

10. gtdavis61

gtdavis61 New Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Replaced power supply with part from Weaknees and sat2 problem was solved. This forum saved me several hours of troubleshooting. Thanks!

11. Mark Griswold

Mark Griswold New Member

Apr 22, 2003
    CT
    I did the capacitor replacement described above. It did not help my pixelation problem on tuner 2. Of course, I wasn't really surprised as the capacitor did not look bad to begin with.

I'd send it in to CCS for repair, but I'm on the fence about dumping DTV entirely, so I'm living with it for now.

12. pdnetworx

pdnetworx New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    One more data point and a bump. I can track my pixellation problems on my DSR7000 by the audio breaks that coincide with it. This morning I was watching a channel that was suffering lots of breaks and disconnected all video outputs. The audio breaks immediately ceased. I'm getting a used HDVR2 tomorrow and will swap the power supplies. I'm also going to look at the caps in the existing PS to see if they are looking tired.

stu...

13. 72devilz

72devilz New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    I recently have started seeing this problem. I upgraded the hard drive and installed the networking option when setting up the new HD about a year ago. Went through all the troubleshooting coming to the conclusion that there was some type of power issue. My unit has two composite cables feeding distribution modulators and an ethernet adapter plugged into the usb port. Unplugging the second composite cable does not cure the problem however unplugging the network adapter does. Knowing that USB draws 5vdc from the motherboard it is safe to assume that there is a problem with the 5 volt circuit somewhere in the unit. It would make sense that the SVHS solution would cure the problem temporarily as well due to the relief of the additional load when the SVHS circuits are running. Once the supply capacitors dry out they can no longer supply the same load as they did when new. I will be replacing the suspect capacitors in the main PCB soon and expect the problem to be resolved. 9 times out of 10 replacing power supply secondary capacitors will resolve a performance issue or bring back a dead piece of electronics. Early Pioneer DVD recorders are notorious for dieing due to poor quality secondary power supply capacitors.

14. davistw

davistw New Member

Nov 23, 2002
    So did this fix the problem?

I have 2 receivers doing this now. I looked at the caps and non of them exhibit the bulging. If you fixed yours via the swap capacitors which ones did you swap?

Does anyone know of a source for the schematics for this power supply?

15. DataDoc

DataDoc New Member

May 28, 2008
    Greenville, NC
    The link I posted above shows the cap to replace. I also added the second cap (same value) that is missing from the board.

16. davistw

davistw New Member

Nov 23, 2002
    part number 647-UPW1C222MHD from Mouser Electronics.....

I looked at mouser and it looks like the cap is not in stock. Would you have a recommendation as to a replacement?

/nevermind/
    Looks like digikey has them in stock.
    http://dkc1.digikey.com/us/digihome.html

17. davistw

davistw New Member

Nov 23, 2002
    I received the caps in the mail today.
    I had 2 receivers with the pixilation problem. One old hdvr2 (years old) and One newer dvr-40.. Both have the pixilation problem on tuner 2. I removed the power supplys and examined them for bulging capacitors and non of the caps exibited the bulging symptom. I went ahead and replaced the cap per the above method and added the "extra" cap. This did not fix either tivo...
    Bummer...
    :thumbsdown::(

Any other ideas?

18. bullis

bullis New Member

May 10, 2002
    Apex, NC
    I have two boxes, same model, and one was showing this issue and the other wasn't. I took them both apart and did not notice a bulging capacitor in either. As a test I swapped the two power cards and the problem persisted in the box which originally had the issue. It did not appear in the box which did not show the problem. I had expected (hoped) the problem would move between the two boxes. Maybe both power cards are at issue and only one is showing it because it is connected via COAX rather than the composite cables. I guess my only option left is to send it off to be fixed at CCS. The S-Video trick worked for about a year but no longer.

19. rbtravis

rbtravis New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    Parker, Co....
    Bullis:
    Is the tivo you are having trouble with the one with the 40GB drive? The drive should be past the mean time between failures. Replace the drive first. It may be the cheaper fix. :)

20. Jeff D

Jeff D New Member

Aug 28, 2002
    I have a hdvr2 that's starting showing this problem too.

I've done what most other have done.... checked connection, cables and such. cables work find on a second HDVR2, so I'm thinking it's a problem local to this machine. I've also swapped power boards, problem still exists on the original problematic box.

Tuner two when checking signal strength locks and drops the signal only on tuner two. I've disabled tuner two while trying to find a fix, at least that way I can still use the box. (I should just swap it out with the other box that's currently not activated and contains a 2x capacity hard drive)

I haven't had a chance to find a scope to hook up this board to, but has anyone checked the tuner crystal? If you look a the board the two tuner sections are pretty obvious. On previous directv boxes these tuner were separate parts, and not on the board themselves. I'm not sure it's a crystal problem because what are the odds that so many people have the same problem only on tuner 2?!?! But, crystals are known to go bad and that could explain the lock/drop of the signal... of course so could any other flaky part.