1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixelation - bad blocks

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Yorkshireexile, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Yorkshireexile

Yorkshireexile Member

May 28, 2003
    On my series 3 with some recordings I get pixelation enough to make it unwatchable. I suspect bad blocks. Should TiVo deal with these automatically? Is there any way to force an fsck?

2. MeInDallas

MeInDallas Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Restart the Tivo and when you see the yellow pause light come on, quickly hit pause then 54 and go into the S.M.A.R.T. test screen. Run the full test and see if it passes.

3. Yorkshireexile

Yorkshireexile Member

May 28, 2003
    Thanks - just what I was looking for. Will try that tonight.

4. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
    Could be noisy or low signal strength. Are the recordings from the same channels?

5. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    I think these instructions are a little too abbreviated. Also the instructions differ depending on which series 3 model you have.. See detailed instructions here:
    http://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php

6. Yorkshireexile

Yorkshireexile Member

May 28, 2003
    The S.M.A.R.T tests all ran successfully. I can try the overnight test tonight - is any description on what these all tests do available?

We have seen the problem on two differences channels, HBO and CBS. This is on a cable system. It is quite possible that there were delivery issues on those occasions. One time the whole program was completely unwatchable on the other it was just extremely annoying.

7. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    It could easily be that the problem was in the signal before it got to your TiVo.

Even if you're on analog cable, the signal has been digitized somewhere in route.

8. Yorkshireexile

Yorkshireexile Member

May 28, 2003
    The overnight test also passed, so a bad input is looking like the most probable reason.

9. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Near...
    Assuming you're using CableCARD(s), tune to one or two channels that have the most pixelation and go to DVR Diagnostics.
    What are Signal Strength (should be 80-100), SNR (should be at least 34 dB) and RS errors (corrected and uncorrected) for a bad channel? And are the RS error counts increasing rapidly? Both RS counts should be small or zero and should not be increasing

Signal problems due to weak signal are much more likely than signal problems due to encoding errors that were mentioned in a previous post. And you can do something about the first cause, while probably nothing about encoding errors (other than complain to the signal source).

10. bshrock

bshrock New Member

Jan 6, 2012
  11. jrtroo

jrtroo User

Feb 4, 2008
    While the kickstarts are good tests to run, it does not completely eliminate a bad bit on the drive as an issue. I would leave that on the table for testing with the WD drive tools if your other research does not find an issue.

Another item could be your PS. I suspect that is the problem- older S3s sometimes have bulging caps. Search on it.