1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pip?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by tomhorsley, Aug 29, 2013.

1. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Active Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I don't suppose the Roamios with their faster chips and greater processing power and gazillions of tuners have added a picture-in-picture features, have they? I suspect I would have seen the whooping with joy threads if they had, but I just thought I'd ask :).

2. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    My receiver has a limited PIP function. I use the TIVO video out jack to get PIP. No PIP from the Roamio itself.

3. SugarBowl

SugarBowl Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Cary, NC
    Would be a great feature to show video from all 4/6 tuners at the same time on-screen.

4. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    That's actually a pretty neat idea. Have a button that brings up all six tuners on one screen, and then allows you to quickly pick one to flip to.

Additionally, allow you to put any combination of them on the screen at once, so you could watch 2,3,4 up to 6 screens at once. Think how powerful a sell that would be to sports viewers.

Whether it actually would work well may be up for debate, it would be a hell of a SALES feature.

I'm a one at a time tuner watcher, so no bonus points from me, but if I was a marketing guy, I would think this has potential.

5. tatergator1

tatergator1 Active Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    It would have tremendous marketing value for sports fans. 4/6 tuners all displayed simultaneously, so you can watch numerous games in real-time. Only one tuner would be playing audio, but you could quickly glance around at scores. Switch between screens by number or arrow keys. The tuner with audio would react to trick play functions. Perfect for College/NFL football, March Madness, etc.

6. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I don't think it has enough decoders to display a live feed of all 6 tuners at once. Although taking a quick snap shot of each tuner and putting it on screen should be possible. Not sure how useful that would be though.

7. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    Marty McFly Jr. action:
    [​IMG]

8. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I like how the TV is 16:9 but all the channels are still 4:3. They had enough foresight to know we'd be using widescreen TVs but not enough to know the channels would also be adapted to fit those TVs? :)

9. Surrealone

Surrealone TiVoOnThEmInD

Dec 8, 2006
    Sounds like a great Tivo S6 idea lets hope it happens:D

10. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Active Member

Apr 16, 2012
    What decoders are you referring to you? Let's say someone has a Roamio and someone in the house is watching live TV on tuner 1. And 3 kids are each concurrently streaming live TV to their own iPad via tuners 2-4. Wouldn't that be similar to the Roamio just showing a matrix of several tuners at once?

Or do iPads and iPhones actually decode the incoming stream instead of just feeding it to the iOS AV player?

11. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Tuners are different then decoders. These are digital channels which means to display them you need a special decoder which can convert the digital information into an uncompressed picture. When you stream to a Mini it has it's own internal decoder that does this. And in the case of watching on an iPad the Stream hardware actually has a transcoder which does decode but then immediately reencodes to H.264 before sending it over to the iPad which then decodes the H.264 stream internally.

I believe the Broadcom chip they use in the TiVo can decode 2 channels at once, so they could do PIP. However it would need 6 decoders to do a live display of all 6 tuners simultaneously. Now they could use a single decoder to take a snapshot of each tuner and put that in a grid. They could even cycle through the tuners and update them like a slide show. But they could not do a live grid of all 6 tuners.

12. NotNowChief

NotNowChief Addicted to TiVo

Mar 29, 2012
    New York...
    This would be their single greatest innovation ever, hands down.

Can you please post this up in the TiVo Suggestions thread so we may plug away at it!?

Can TiVo make us Marty McFly?

13. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    As I said the current hardware does not make that possible. Maybe in the Series6?

14. HenryFarpolo

HenryFarpolo New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Andover Ma
    Great idea TIVO...Make it happen!!

15. pdxrunr

pdxrunr New Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Or...how about a 65" in the middle with a Roamio surrounded by five 27" screens each with a Tivo Mini? All controlled with a tablet. Hmmmm, might have to set this up!

16. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Don't think that would work either. Not 100% sure about the Roamio, but on the Premiere there was a limit of 3 outgoing streams at a time. So the most you could ever do is the video from the main TiVo and 3 Minis concurrently. (although they may have increased that limit with the Roamio, not sure)

17. pdxrunr

pdxrunr New Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Up to eight TiVo Minis can be supported by one TiVo network containing either TiVo Roamio or Premiere DVRs. One tuner is used each time a TiVo Mini is being used on the network. Therefore, depending on the number of DVRs and tuners you have available, you may not be able to have all eight operating simultaneously.
    TiVo Roamio DVRs allow for dynamic tuner allocation, so the tuner is only used when the Mini needs it and is released back to the DVR for use when the TiVo Mini isn’t in use. TiVo Premiere DVRs do NOT support dynamic tuner allocation, so any Mini connected to a Premiere is allocated a constantly dedicated tuner and therefore reduces the tuners available for the Premiere DVR.

18. pdxrunr

pdxrunr New Member

Dec 16, 2004
    Portland, OR
  19. Goober96

Goober96 New Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Anderson, SC
    This is only for Live TV, right? If you use the Mini for streaming only and never Live TV it doesn't ever need a tuner on a Roamio or Premiere, correct?

20. AdamNJ

AdamNJ New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    By my account, they have 2 years and a little under 2 months to make this a reality!

Someone needs to get on the hoverboards too.