1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer TiVo Owners Club

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by robomeister, Jun 29, 2006.

1. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    I decided to start this thread because the Humax and Toshiba threads seem to be rather popular. I have several of the DVR-810H-S model (see my sig) and one of the DVR-57H model. I love them! They are very solid units. And having TiVo Basic doesn't hurt either.

The hard drive upgrade process is very straight forward. There is really only room for one hard drive, but I've heard some people have been able to squeeze a second hard drive in it. Since these units have two IDE channels, it would be interesting to see if someone could squeeze three or even four hard drives into one unit. The DVD writer would have to be removed, however. Maybe I'll try this to see if it will work.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to successfully replace the DVD writer, in case the writer fails. I think there is something special about the firmware in the writer. I have tried replacing the writer with a Pioneer DVR-105, Pioneer DVR-106, Pioneer DVR-107, Pioneer DVR-108, and Pioneer DVR-109. Each time I've tried, I can play DVDs, but I can't burn DVDs.

But anyway, owners of a Pioneer TiVo, sign in and be counted!
  2. rcobourn

rcobourn Registered Snoozer

Nov 10, 2004
    Have an 810 with 320GB HD. I don't find myself using the burner so much these days. I use a slingbox to stream programming wherever I want to watch it, or transfer to PC or other Tivo. Almost as easy to burn on PC and I can edit out commercials that way. I'm debating going to a DT unit, but I have lifetime on the 810 so it'll find a home somewhere if that happens.
  3. turnipsun

turnipsun New Member

Jan 14, 2006
    I also have a Pioneer DVR-810H-S.
    I completely love this tivo and I think it is far superior to any other dvd tivo out there.

My parents were the first to get a Pioneer DVR-810H-S, and I was amazed with it, so I got my first tivo, which was actually a Humax DRT800.

After having the Humax for one week, and having Humax replace it twice, I finally sold it.
    I hated that thing, I really really did not like it, and it almost killed tivo for me.

So after I sold the Humax, I found a Pioneer DVR-810H-S. Once I got it I fell in LOVE.

This unit is amazing, It has handled everything I have thrown at it.
    I even have it standing on its side vertically, and it has been GREAT.

I do actually plan to hack it soon, not sure of what my plans are for hard drive or such. I still have alot of research to do, before I can start planing.
    Although I would like to find a really quite drive, anybody got any suggestions on hard drives for the DVR-810H-S?

Well I guess thats it, if anyone has a chance to get one of these units, DO NOT PASS IT UP..

I had to say it...!
  4. gayste

gayste Love TiVo!

Feb 27, 2002
    1 here...

Although I seem to be using it less and less as I TivoToGo most things now-a-days. (And recordings from my other TiVo will not copy to DVD.) It's not hacked and it might go away as soon as the Series 3 comes out.
  5. Seattle

Seattle Active Member

Dec 13, 2001
    I also have one Pioneer 810H-S. Of my ten TiVos it is my favorite. I have lifetime on it and it has not been upgraded yet. I also have an Humax DVD unit and it works fine for me.
  6. jlac839

jlac839 New Member

Nov 6, 2004
    I have a DVR-57H purchased nearly two years ago in a closing down sale. I purchased Lifetime service for it and I've been very pleased. I also upgraded the disk to 300GB. I use HME and TTG a lot since I got the Tivo wireless adapter which is much faster at downloads (to the Tivo) than wired or other wireless adapters due to its built-in video processing. I've hardly watched live tv since I got the Tivo except for some sports. I don't intend to replace it until I make a commitment to HD which is a long way off for me.
  7. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    Indeed, my DVR-810H (the 57H's twin, just a smaller drive), is my favorite of all the TiVo's I've owned or used. I plan to keep it even after I get an S3.
  8. bobsokoler

bobsokoler New Member

Jul 16, 2006
    New Problem for my Pioneer 810H, It boots up and stalls at "starting up". Anyone have an idea on what the problem is?
  9. bicker

bicker Gruff

Nov 9, 2003
    Is there a DVD in the unit? If so, you may need to manually eject it before booting the unit up.
  10. alacran

alacran New Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Hello, I am a proud owner of a DVR 57H, bought it used, sure wished it displayed better than 480P display. Can't really compain otherwise, good to know there is a pioneer club.
  11. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    When a TiVo stalls on 'starting up' it is almost always a dead hard drive. Do remove any DVD that may be in the drive. Otherwise you can open it up and check all the cables - make sure the drive power and IDE cable are connected, etc. If that fails, then you need to reimage, or replace, the drive.
  12. readmore

readmore New Member

Sep 9, 2004
    I've had an 810 for a couple of years now. I've been quite pleased with it. The only hiccup was a failed hard drive a few months after purchase. Fortunately, Pioneer replaced it (pretty quickly), and I was given the ultimate sign of successful purchase of a major piece of technology when my wife said she missed the tivo while it was getting replaced! Beforehand, she didn't understand what use it could possibly be, even with a burner...but then she saw the light, and she'll never go back.
  13. rmarshll

rmarshll New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    is there a 1 gig usb nic card that will work with the 810h.. I love my unit.. but 100mbps is way to slow to transfer.. i want to use a 1gbps adaptor.
  14. codeman71

codeman71 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    My aunt has a Pioneer 810-H and all of a sudden we are no longer able to transfer recorded shows from her other TiVo, or view any pictures or music on her computer.

It seems to have happened about a month or so ago. I have removed the wireless adapter and plugged it back in, restarted the TiVo several times and have also removed power to do a cold restart -- none of these have helped.

Also, when I try to transfer shows off of the TiVo onto her other box, I am able to view all of the shows on it, but when I try to do a transfer, it gives an error saying that it was no longer available. I am, however, able to transfer shows onto her computer using TiVo Desktop.

It seems like a service update has been the cause of this problem, because nothing else has changed in our set up. Has anybody else seen or heard about this being an issue, or how to go about fixing it?

15. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator TC Club

Apr 17, 2000
    We also have an 810H. That's most likely the one S2 TiVo we will keep after we upgrade to the S3 units.

16. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    The TiVo can't even fill 100Mbps, GigE would have NO advantage. The bottleneck is the TiVo CPU, not the network. (And no, no GigE adapters work.)
  17. MMG

MMG early adopter

Dec 11, 1999
    I've had a 57H with Lifetime since 12/05. I love it. I'm always burning DVDs of shows for friends. The picture is excellent, it has quick menus (at least before 7.3.1), and looks nice too.

Unfortunately, it's in a GSOD loop now and I'll be replacing its hard-drive tomorrow but I would never want to get rid of this gem.
  18. bicker

bicker Gruff

Nov 9, 2003
    I believe my current wireless adapeters are 802.11b but my wireless router can handle 802.11g. I'd spend the $120 for the two adapters I'd need to connect my two boxes, if it would make a big enough difference. Specifically, is it practical to expect that I could actually watch something, in real time, from one TiVo, on the other?
  19. megazone

Mar 3, 2002
    I do that. If the units are 1xx, 2xx, or 6xx boxes it is very likely to work for any recording quality, given a good network connection. A 5xx box may or may not cope with Best at realtime, but High or lower should work with the TiVo adapters OK.

The lower the recording quality, the faster the transfer. The bitrate of the transfer doesn't change, but there is less to transfer for a given run time.
  20. wtherrell

wtherrell Member

Dec 23, 2004
    I got one of the first 57-H units Tweeter had available in my area and still love it. Works great on my wireless network. Just finished burning 56 DVD's. I now have a pretty good "Alias" collection as a result. (Lord, Jennifer is so hot!!). Lifetime subscription. I hear they are not offering the lifetime one any more. Bummer. I may have to try something other than Tivo for my next unit.