1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pillars of the Earth: entire mini-series thread (spoilers to date)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Aug 16, 2010.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    We need a thread for Pillars, so I'll jump in. This show is too good not to comment on.

Let's set a simple rule. Spoilers allowed up to whatever episode has aired on Starz.

2. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    I'll start. I'm liking this so far. I went in with low expectations, since almost every review was less than flattering. But it's been fun to watch.

I read the book when it came out, about 20 years ago. Loved it. There's no way the series will be as good as the book, but it is entertaining in its own right. Love the characters. Aliana (?) is a sensual delight. The machinations of the court are a hoot. And of course Bishop Swearingen... anything that CS does is worth watching.

General question: I remembered the book as being about the cathedral, and the town, and the market, and the politics of the Priory, and the people involved in all of that. I don't remember the court drama as being a major subject. If I had to guess (and remember, this is a 20 yr old memory), the book was 80% what I just said, and 20% court politics.

But this series is about 50-50, royal court vs local stuff. Have they changed it for TV, or is my memory faulty?

3. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    I have a question: Am I just not paying close enough attention (entirely possible) or are they not clearly showing the passage of time? At the end of the current episode (5) a fair bit of the cathedral is built, and I'm pretty sure its not a quick process.

Z

4. dswallow

dswallow Save the Moderatоr TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Ack. For as many times as I've seen that stupid promo, I didn't have this set to record. If only there were something like a popup "Press to record" thingamajig that would let me quickly schedule it when I saw the promo... *sigh*

5. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Malden, MA
    If you have a netflix subscription the episodes are available to stream the day after they air.

Z

6. BK89

BK89 New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Bye bye Tom Builder! Or maybe he will come back to life too!? :)

7. sieglinde

sieglinde New Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    That was weird.

They are showing the passage of time. Sometimes there is a caption saying that 6 months or some other time has passed.

8. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston &...
    No, that's titled "Pillars of the Earth - confusing episodes". Since it doesn't have an episode description or date, posting spoilers there would be against the rules. We needed a specific thread to be able to post in. So here it is.

9. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    OK, I downloaded the first 5 episodes. And I simply could not stop watching. Just finished them. More. I need more. I WANT MORE! NOW!

10. dbranco

dbranco Member

Nov 20, 2003
    The reviews at tv.ign.com have been from "Great" to "Outstanding":
    http://tv.ign.com/index/reviews.html

In the most recent episode "Legacy", WHY did Tom Builder just stand there (weaponless, no less!!) when William was coming at him with a sword??

11. speedcouch

speedcouch Geekneck

Oct 23, 2003
    North Carolina
    Man, he was just plain stupid - standing up to a knight on a horse with a huge sword. How did he think that was going to end well? Hate to see the character go though - really liked him.

Red-headed kid was really, really stupid admitting he burned down the original church. He actually thought that would endear Tom to him???

Enjoy the show, but the characters really make a lot of stupid decisions...

Cheryl

12. gossamer88

gossamer88 HDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Let's not forget the reason he's becoming a monk!

13. jpcapili

jpcapili New Member

May 13, 2009
    California
    why does the bishop hurt himself? penance? so he would do evil things then do penance?

14. dswallow

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    Religions have a long history of self-inflicted pain

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article4628278.ece

15. Timbeau

Timbeau Active Member

May 31, 2002
    VT
    That's what TV characters do. And who can blame them? If the redheaded kid can come back to life, why shouldn't Tom Builder be impervious to the sword? ;)

This show has been a real bright spot this summer -- I just wish there were more episodes each week. :)

16. Mr Flippant

Mr Flippant Regular User

Jan 2, 2009
    A real surprise for Starz. I am crazy happy I can watch it on Netflix as well. I hope they do something like this every summer.

17. philw1776

philw1776 Active Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Seacoast NH
    So glad to have something to watch with my wife that isn't some Hallmark or Lifetime chick flick. Great series. Well acted. Loved the Archbishop's last scene.

18. ahartman

ahartman Space for Rent

Dec 28, 2001
    Cleveland, OH
    Wow, my wife and I both read the book and we're irritated with the unnecessary changes they're making. I realize you can't be completely faithful to a 1000-page book and expect to get in all the details, but this show just isn't grabbing me like the book did.

We'll finish the series, but we're not big fans. Maybe if I hadn't read the book, I'd look at it differently.

19. Mr Flippant

Mr Flippant Regular User

Jan 2, 2009
    I have not read the book but my wife has. We both eagerly anticipate the next episode. Kind of like Legend of the Seeker. I read all the books and even though the tv series heavily deviated from the book it was good weekly entertainment. I realize the screen version rarely can capture the depth, detail and grandeur a book can create, so I try to enjoy each on what they try to impart.