1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture quality on 60" plus displays

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by miller890, Aug 31, 2013.

1. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    I notice a slight picture improvement with the Roamio over the S3, but maybe that is my imagination. The dell 50" is starting to act up and I am planning on replacing it. My question is can I go too big? I have a large room that I am considering a Panasonic plasma ST60 60-65". Will broadcast (comcast) HD quality suffer if I go 65"?

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I use an 82" DLP at 9 feet away. Broadcast can sometimes look like crap but over all it's fine. I use a DVDO DUO and a Darbee Darblet in my system. I used to use an Algolith Flea which worked well with broadcast sources since it reduced the noise a little. So I do notice the noise a little more since I used the FLea for six years until recently. But I don't think 65" is any problem. At least not with a properly calibrated picture.

3. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    The PQ of the Roamio on OTA and Amazon VOD is quite good IMO.

65" tv here.

4. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    There is no difference in quality of the VIDEO picture. The menu system, however, is much improved on the Roamio, mostly due to the smaller/sharper fonts.

Yes, you *CAN* go too large with a TV, but that amount varies by personal taste and where you sit. The quality doesn't change with size, although your ability to see pixels does.

5. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    I have a VT50 and some of the OTA channels can be rough, but thats due to compression for added subchannels. Dish Network looks OK at 65" on the VT50, but I prefer the Amazon files and will be slowly dialing back satellite service. I care more about PQ than I do about price.

6. crxssi

crxssi Veteran TiVo User

Apr 5, 2010
    Of course the provider (OTA, cable, sat, Amazon, Netflix) controls the compression/bitrate/quality of the video. But the thread is more about if it varies based on the TiVo (and specifically one model or generation vs. another) [nope]. And/or if it changes with size [nope].

7. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Ziphead

Aug 2, 2003
    I thought so, too. Maybe because I switched to 1080p60, I dunno.

8. elwaylite

elwaylite Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Theodore, Al.
    Ive noted more than once the OTA image is better on the Roamio vs my Hopper, but I cant compare older Tivo's. I know my Premiere I got when they first came out looked great too.

9. HerronScott

HerronScott Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I don't have a Roamio yet but I've been happy with our Panasonic 65" plasma, Comcast broadcast HD and our S3 OLED's for the past 3 years (TC-P65V10).

Viewing distance is about 9 1/2 feet.

Scott

10. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    82" NICE, wow.

11. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    They have a 92", which is what I need.

I have a 73". I sit up to 15 feet back.

The 82" was being sold in the local Tiger Direct store for $1300.

The bigger models are fairly dim so you need a darkened room.

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    The 82" Mitsubishi has no problem in a bright setting. I calibrated it for day viewing and night viewing. But I think the 92" might have more of an issue since it is the same bulb and ten more inches.. Either way I wish they had not stopped making DLP sets. They were easily the best bang for the buck.

13. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Active Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    You just have to role your own with a projector and a good screen. :)

14. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I wish I could, I would have done it many years ago. But I would need to mount the projector above my seating location and even the quietest projectors are too noisy for me to handle when I am anywhere near them.

15. mvnuenen

mvnuenen ~0.0~

Jun 1, 2007
    Durham, NC
    I also thought that the PQ of the Roamio was better than my Premiere XL. May be it is just the joy of owning a new box, or, perhaps it is better calibrated...