1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picture frozen when I turn on TV

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by TIVO_GUY_HERE, Jun 13, 2013.

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    When I turn on the TV, my picture on my TiVo will be frozen at current spot on whatever is on tuner. Show isn't being recorded. I can do rewind, and have the full 30 minute buffer, and play it up to current time then it freezes on picture. If I switch channels and go back to the channel it was on, and can view show no problem. Says something like trouble getting signal etc... But it's odd that it is only when I turn on TV, never have any freezing or no picture any other time. I have TW with cable cards. I think, but not too sure that it has happened on my other premiere in my bedroom also.

It is usually the 1st time I turn on TV either in morning, or when I get home at night after work.

Cable card? tuning adapter?
  2. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
  3. Tico

Tico Bear Down Cats!!!!!

Dec 9, 2002
    Probably on a Switched Digital channel. After a while the signal "times" out and switched off.

Here after a channel is on for 3 hours with no user input it prompts me to indicate I am still watching by pressing select on the remote. if I don't the signal to that channel gets cut off.
  4. smhaus

smhaus New Member

Jul 7, 2013
    I too often see the channel frozen when I turn on my tv after being off for a while.

I thought this might be related to the problem with losing access to channels and having to reboot the machine.

I have cox digital cable - northern virginia - which I think is switched digital channel.

Do others see this along with the "losing channels - not available" problem, or are they two unrelated issues?

Does starting a recording count as user activity? If you leave TiVo tuned to a switched channel for a while on which you have a scheduled recording, will TiVo be able to do that recording?