1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phone line needed?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by A J Ricaud, Sep 16, 2012.

1. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Sorry if this has been answered before. I am thinking of giving a Tivo Series 3 OLED to my uncle. He will have only a cell phone and no internet service. He will have Charter cable service in SoCal and I would set it up w/ 2 Cable Cards.

Will he need a landline for guide updates or any other reason? I don't imagine that there will be any firmware updates any time soon? I can do a clear and delete before I give it to him. Will I be able to do guided setup w/o a landline?

2. unitron

unitron Active Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    The TiVo will need either a phone line or an internet connection to download the guide data (what shows are on which channel at what time).

Also it will need one or the other to keep the clock set so that when you tell it to start recording at 8pm, it starts at 8pm and not a minute or 3 either side of it that it thinks is 8pm.

Also you won't be able to do Guided Setup without some way for the TiVo to connect to the TiVo, Inc. servers, because you tell it the zip code the TiVo is in (or is going to be in, I suppose in your case), and only then does it download info about available cable companies and local broadcast channels, even before it downloads guide data.

Can his cell phone access the internet at all?

3. dianebrat

dianebrat I refuse to accept your reality TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    An S3 will need EITHER a phone line or an internet connection to do guided setup and then get guide data in the future.

4. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    In order to be set up, the Tivo has to connect to the "Tivo Control Central" somehow, and your choices are phone line or Internet. There isn't a way around this (well, I suppose your uncle could use his cellphone as a modem to a PC and then share the internet connection and get the Tivo to connect that way, but that isn't a long term solution).

5. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    If he could connect to the Internet about once a week using the cell phone somehow, that would keep his guide data reasonably up-to-date, and it might not use up too much of his data plan if it's reasonably generous.

6. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    I'll have to see if I can get him a low cost "lifeline" phone line. He isn't tech savvy and will not need or use an internet connection.

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Check to make sure TiVo has a local dial in number. My understanding is they have cut back and a lifeline phone might end up having to dial a long distance number and end up costing more than one with "normal" service. I would also check to see what kind of low cost Internet access he can get from the cable company.

Good Luck,

8. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    Thanks for the advice.