1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCM output on XL.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by DCIFRTHS, Apr 9, 2012.

1. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS I dumped SDV / cable

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    TiVo XL via HDMI to a soundbar.

My soundbar supports 5.1 DD. Unfortunately, I get a pop / crackle / annoying sound when DD is enabled, when I start viewing a recording, come back from a menu etc.

How can I verify how many channels are being output over HDMI, when using DD to PCM conversion setting? Is it a discrete 5.1 channels, or is it downmixed to two channels? There is no indicator on the soundbar / subwoofer telling me how many channels are being input.

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    When the TiVo sends out PCM it is only two channel audio. For multichannel audio it needs to be DD.

I use an aging Sony speaker bar with my XL, well now my ELite, and it has always worked fine with them.

My speaker bar shows me the number of channels being input to it when it first switches to that format. So when it switches to PCM output, like with the non-HD menus, it shows PCM 2.0. And when it switches back to the HD menu showing an HD channel, it will show DD5.1 or DD 2.0 or whatever dolby audio mix is being output from that digital channel. But it only shows the number of channels for a second when the format changes.

3. DCIFRTHS

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    Mine only shows LPCM or the Dolby logo with PLII.

The noise has always been present on my Sony TVs (my soundbar is Sony too). Sony blames it on the STB, and TiVo's answer is to use PCM.

Does TiVo document that they downmix to two channels when using PCM? I can't seem to find it on their site.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    No idea if they document it. That is always what I've seen from a TiVo when sending PCM over the last decade.

One difference though, are you using the optical output or HDMI for the audio? I'm using the HDMI output for audio. It seems like people have more issues with the audio using the optical output.

5. DCIFRTHS

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    I'm using the HDMI output.