1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC problems since Mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by mikeb33, Sep 8, 2013.

1. mikeb33

mikeb33 Hanger Arounder

Dec 10, 2001
    I have an Asus router connected to a Netgear 16 port switch. The switch feeds most of the house and one cable goes to my office to a Netgear 5 port switch. My Roamio and Premiere plug into the router. In my office, I have the Mini, my printer and PC in the 5 port switch. I had to set all Tivo devices to static IP to get them to work with each other.
    After setting all this up, my Wife's PC couldn't get on the internet. She is plugged into the 16 port. I unplugged the 5 port and rebooted her PC, then it worked. I reconnected the 5 port all was fine for a day. Next day my Office PC was dead slow. I unplugged and reconnected the 5 port and it got better, but then we find hers is slow. More uplugging and restarting and it's better for a while.

Could the mini be hogging all my local bandwidth? Both switches are the 100mbps series, would gigbit models be better?

Should all my PCs have static IPs? Is there a downside to doing this?

2. mikeb33

mikeb33 Hanger Arounder

Dec 10, 2001
    Happened again just now. My PC is really slow, I run a SPEEDTEST and get 2-3mbps download and over 10 up. I unplug the power form the 5 port switch, reconnect and test again. Now I get 50 mbps download.
    Whats going on?

3. TC25D

TC25D New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Any of the switches green?

4. mikeb33

mikeb33 Hanger Arounder

Dec 10, 2001
  5. jmpage2

jmpage2 New Member

Jan 20, 2004

You shouldn't have needed static IPs on the TiVos in the first place unless something is not right with your network. It is possible that in the process of you manually assigning static IPs to the TiVo devices that you now have a conflict between one of those IPs and another IP on your network which can cause problems similar to what you are describing.

If you are assigning static IPs to the TiVos did you make sure that the DHCP range that the router hands out is not using the same addresses?

Have you considered switching the Mini to MoCA as a temporary test?

6. mikeb33

mikeb33 Hanger Arounder

Dec 10, 2001
    I switched the Mini in my office back to dynamic IP and left the 2 boxes on static. and I think my problems have ended. If that changes, I'll report back.

Thanks.